Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video cards

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
jeremyj
610 Views, 28 Replies

Video cards

I use Inventor 2012 and am make a very large assembly and as it gets bigger, the longer it takes to place components and constrain them as well as move my model around.  I'm thinking it's a graphics card thing as my computer is pretty powerful.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 gaming card right now.  I don't really want to spend several thousand dollars on a top of the line CAD card, but is that my only option?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
r_baker11
in reply to: jeremyj

For large assemblies you really need a NVIDIA QUADRO card. While these are not cheap cheap they can be got for a few hunred dollars.

Message 3 of 29
mcgyvr
in reply to: r_baker11

@r_baker11 wrote:

For large assemblies you really need a NVIDIA QUADRO card. While these are not cheap cheap they can be got for a few hunred dollars.

Bull crap!!!

A quadro card with Inventor is simply a waste of money.His current card should be more than sufficient. 5 years ago a quardo card was the suggestion when Inventor relied on openGL but with the move to directX that is no longer the case. Now you pick a decent gaming card and spend the money you saved on other hardware.

Jeremy, Please list the specs of the other hardware on your computer. Like RAM,Processor,OS,etc..

CPU speed and amount of RAM are way more important than a graphics card.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 29
PACDrafting

I have a geforce 560 and it is great on large assemblies.

You dont have to purchase a high end quadro card as inventor uses direct x which is what games are run on.

Message 5 of 29
Ray_Feiler

I don't think it's your video card. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 6 of 29
jeremyj
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have a Intel core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07 GHz with 12 GB of RAM with windows 7, dual 500 GB hard drives

Message 7 of 29
PACDrafting

That machine looks ok to me. I have a solid state HD and it flies.

How large is your assembly? Occurrence number?

Maybe your modelling structure could be improved.

Message 8 of 29
PACDrafting
in reply to: PACDrafting

Are you using level of details?

Try setting up a few of them. If you don't need to see every item in your project then set LOD's.

Message 9 of 29
jeremyj

Right now my assembly is 77 MB and is acting very slow.  I have 137 occerences right now.

Message 10 of 29
jeremyj

I have one level of detail that it put in for me but I don't really know much about it.  I need to read up about it a little more.

Message 11 of 29
PACDrafting

That doesnt seem right.

Add a screen image of your model.

Message 12 of 29
PACDrafting

That would be your master LOD.

Do a test. Select a couple of sub assemblies and right click and select suppress.

This will create a new LOD as ask you to save it.

To get to the master LOD double click on  it.

Message 13 of 29
jeremyj

I can't really do that for privacy reasons.  There are several componets to it though.

Message 14 of 29
Ray_Feiler

Something like the attached pic will slow down my machine but it is no where as powerful as yours.

IBM IntelliStation M Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHz
4 GB PC2 5300 CL5 ECC DDR2
73 GB 15,000 RPM SAS HD
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
Inventor 2010 SP3

Message 15 of 29
cwhetten
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Wow, I am shocked that that assembly doesn't bring your 32-bit machine to its knees.  17108 occurrences and only 342 unique files?  Do you put all of your fasteners into your assembly?

-cwhetten

Message 16 of 29
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: cwhetten

Yes all fasteners are there. It was done in 2005 with Inventor 8 or 10. I could only work the the main assembly for around 1/2 hour before I needed to restart Inventor. And get this the system was a IBM IntelliStation M Pro, Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1024MB PC2700 CL2.5 ECC RAM, 80GB EIDE HD, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 128MB Video, Microsoft Windows XP Professional 32 bit.

iProps2.JPG

iProps.JPG

Message 17 of 29
jeremyj
in reply to: cwhetten

It is a 64 bit system.  I havne't put the fasteners in the assembly yet but will probably at the end.

Message 18 of 29
mcgyvr

Are you working from your local hard drives or network to a server? Right now I'd guess that's your weak link. Are you running raid on those hard drives? and are they 7200RPM or somethign else.

If you are working locally via vault or just don't have a networked server that files are on I'd suggest solid state drives would be the smartest choice. If working over a network are you on a gigabit network/hows the server performance/usage,etc..

Everything else on your computer is more than sufficient. (you should be able to see RAM usage to figure out of you have enough)

There is no computer setup in the world that Inventor couldn't slow down with a specific large assembly. So throwing money/hardware might not help any at this time.. Learning large assembly management techniques could be what you need. Like LOD's/Substitutes,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 19 of 29
mcgyvr

and do you mean 77Mb is the size of the actual iam file or all the parts/subs,etc..?

Are you adding lots of assembly features,etc.. 77Mb for an assembly (iam) file with only 130+ occurances seems totally wrong though.. The iam file is really just a container for links to parts/subs and stores constraints,etc.. It shouldn't be an overly large file size.

Heck most of my larger assembly files are only 750Kb (yes Kb) for the iam file alone.. But a pack and go of all parts/subs is in the 100Mb+ range easily.

Message 20 of 29
jeremyj

I am working locally from Vault.  I'm not sure what RPM it's running at.  I do have enough ram.  I've been watching that closely.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report