Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow opening somewhat large assemblies

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
JerkerPihl
378 Views, 34 Replies

Very slow opening somewhat large assemblies

I have user using inventor against a server(which is totally UNLOADED and the network is also unloaded) but when he opens an assembly it goes very slow, like 15 minutes and after a while it complains that "80% of the address space is used". Well I have tried it both on different computers and the timefactor is every where. The user can open the 3dmodel (even it does take 15 minutes) but when he tries open the .idw file, the "80% address space is used" popup appears.
Any suggestion to how to correct this? The program as now is unusable to us, because of this.
34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: JerkerPihl

Here is a assembly that I have been working on just to show you what I would call a "large assembly". This assembly is pretty slow to work in and it takes about 15 minutes to open it up. I would think that it would handle yours just fine. Kirk -- IV R9, SP1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "JerkerPihl" wrote in message news:6513916.1099029324135.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > The assembly is made of 992objects.
Message 22 of 35
Anonymous

If he has 992 unique parts with 50 features each then he would be in trouble...not ? Regards, Jorgen "Kirk A." wrote in message news:418235b7$1_3@newsprd01... > Inventor should be able to handle this just fine. Were any of the parts in > the assembly imported in from a .stp or .sat file? > > -- > IV R9, SP1 > Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 > 2 Gb ram > nVidia FX1000 > 6.14.10.6808Driver > 1260x1024x32 bit > > > "JerkerPihl" wrote in message > news:6513916.1099029324135.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> The assembly is made of 992objects. > >
Message 23 of 35
Anonymous

Is that "parts" or "instances"?
Message 24 of 35
Anonymous

I don't think it would make any difference in the assembly no matter how many features were in each part. If the parts are adaptive, this would slow the assembly down. -- IV R9, SP1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "JGH" wrote in message news:41823944$1_2@newsprd01... > If he has 992 unique parts with 50 features each then he would be in > trouble...not ? > > Regards, > Jorgen > > "Kirk A." wrote in message > news:418235b7$1_3@newsprd01... > > Inventor should be able to handle this just fine. Were any of the parts in > > the assembly imported in from a .stp or .sat file? > > > > -- > > IV R9, SP1 > > Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 > > 2 Gb ram > > nVidia FX1000 > > 6.14.10.6808Driver > > 1260x1024x32 bit > > > > > > "JerkerPihl" wrote in message > > news:6513916.1099029324135.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > >> The assembly is made of 992objects. > > > > > >
Message 25 of 35
Anonymous

> I don't think it would make any difference in the assembly no matter how > many features were in each part. Makes a big difference, as does face / edge complexity. That's why cosmetic threads and the like are used.
Message 26 of 35
Anonymous

Face/edge complexity, yes, I would think so. I thought the cosmetic threads were used because the coil feature took so much to calculate. The parts are not rebuilt as the assembly is loaded. Only the graphical information is loaded. -- IV R9, SP1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "Jeff Howard" wrote in message news:41828c42$1_3@newsprd01... > > I don't think it would make any difference in the assembly no matter how > > many features were in each part. > > Makes a big difference, as does face / edge complexity. That's why > cosmetic threads and the like are used. >
Message 27 of 35
stevensf

I am still on IV8 SP! and I get the 80% of address space used every day. Some times after working for 1-2 hours, most times after 4-5 hours. It depends a lot on how many files I open (does not seem to matter if I close them or not) IDW files with 10 plus views makes it happen faster. My assys are not even close to what others here think as large (smallest assy I have had this problem with has 10 different parts, 50 total parts, plus a few iparts, parts have less than 100 features and some arrays)
If I shut down and restart I get another few hours.

The PC specs are as follows:
IBM A30 8199-66U
Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz (512KB), 533MHz FSB,
2 GB IBM Memory,
40GB 7200RPM IDE HDD, divided into 10 and 30 gb
Intel Extreme Graphics (onboard)
NVIDIA Quardro NVS 64MB PCI
Intel 10/100 Ethernet,

virtual memory is is divided C: is 350-450mb and E: is 2500-2700 mb
Task manager shows Peak at less than 700000 K
WE are running NT4 SP6
Is this a good amount with 2gb ram?
Is it good to split over 2 drives?
Thanks
Fred
Message 28 of 35
Anonymous

> > The parts are not rebuilt as the assembly is loaded. Only the graphical > information is loaded. > Parts are not regenerated on loading, but part geometry must be loaded to generate render meshes; all face / edge dependant. Assembly constraints, assembly features, top down methods, etc. all require model geometry access. I'm not really sure, but imagine it would be pretty easy to get an idea by importing patterned solids; complex parts in one assy and prismatic parts in another (import so they are multiple part definitions and not multiple instances of the same definition), then working (not just looking at) the assemblies.
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous

> WE are running NT4 SP6 What little I know that may be pertinent: Large imports have always been prone to triggering these errors. NT4 / SP6a was the lowest limit, W2K / SP1 raised it, W2K / SP2 raised it still higher (e.g. larger STEP files could be imported without getting 80% - shutting down type errors. Relevant to what you are seeing?
Message 30 of 35
ArtC

Stevensf, You may try a uninstall and reinstall of your video driver. This fixed a similar problem on one of our work stations.
Message 31 of 35
JerkerPihl

system load on workstation 2
Message 32 of 35
JerkerPihl

the result of running the vba script to determine number of components... I will run migrate tonight AND rebuild all, which Iam not certain I did last time
Message was edited by: JerkerPihl
Message 33 of 35
Anonymous

Author and source, please? Larry Caldwell wrote: >Ya'know ... the more I investigate that the more I'm inclined to disagree >with that theory. AFAICT from recent investigation into the virtual memory >page file thingy I believe the fragmented page file thingy may just be a >myth. What I have discovered is that a page file can't fragment. I attached >an excerpt from a document on the subject. I can post the entire document in >iCF I guess if anyone's interested. >~Larry > > >"Mike Maenpaa" wrote in >message news:4180fa09$1_3@newsprd01... > > >>Verify if the Virtual Memory min/max values are the same. (VM_Image 1). >> >>You may want to review the documents on Kent's site >>http://www.kwikmcad.com/iclips/documents.asp >> >>Also, via Sean's iTweak utility, you are able to change the amount of >>address space used. >>http://www.sdotson.com/vba.asp >> >>Mike >> >> >>"JerkerPihl" wrote in message >>news:25406725.1098962911882.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> >> >>>I have user using inventor against a server(which is totally UNLOADED and >>> >>> >>the network is also unloaded) but when he opens an assembly it goes very >>slow, like 15 minutes and after a while it complains that "80% of the >>address space is used". Well I have tried it both on different computers >>and >>the timefactor is every where. The user can open the 3dmodel (even it does >>take 15 minutes) but when he tries open the .idw file, the "80% address >>space is used" popup appears. >> >> >>>Any suggestion to how to correct this? The program as now is unusable to >>> >>> >>us, because of this. >> >> >> >> >> > > > > -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 34 of 35
Anonymous

Here'ya go Dennis. http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm ~Larry "Dennis Jeffrey" wrote in message news:418645d3_1@newsprd01... Author and source, please? Larry Caldwell wrote: Ya'know ... the more I investigate that the more I'm inclined to disagree with that theory. AFAICT from recent investigation into the virtual memory page file thingy I believe the fragmented page file thingy may just be a myth. What I have discovered is that a page file can't fragment. I attached an excerpt from a document on the subject. I can post the entire document in iCF I guess if anyone's interested. ~Larry "Mike Maenpaa" wrote in message news:4180fa09$1_3@newsprd01... Verify if the Virtual Memory min/max values are the same. (VM_Image 1). You may want to review the documents on Kent's site http://www.kwikmcad.com/iclips/documents.asp Also, via Sean's iTweak utility, you are able to change the amount of address space used. http://www.sdotson.com/vba.asp Mike "JerkerPihl" wrote in message news:25406725.1098962911882.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... I have user using inventor against a server(which is totally UNLOADED and the network is also unloaded) but when he opens an assembly it goes very slow, like 15 minutes and after a while it complains that "80% of the address space is used". Well I have tried it both on different computers and the timefactor is every where. The user can open the 3dmodel (even it does take 15 minutes) but when he tries open the .idw file, the "80% address space is used" popup appears. Any suggestion to how to correct this? The program as now is unusable to us, because of this. -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 35 of 35
JerkerPihl

Still hope someone has an explanation of this problem(slow). This is my checklist.
1. Migrate files (checked)
2. Check .aim that missing files/broken and fix and migrate
3. Latest graphic card driver
4. 3,3Gb win xp switch
Done all above and still VERY slow. (20-25min for the referred iam)

the directory structure is
inventor(dir)
machine asm(subdir) <- .iam file i try to open
machine parts(subdir)
manufactured parts(subdir)
standard parts(subdir)
workspace(dir)
projectfile

iam structure(the one we are trying to open)
no parts 2767
no sub asm 324
total comp. count 3091
unique comp. count 927

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report