Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very large Ipt with embossing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Paul-Mason
414 Views, 3 Replies

Very large Ipt with embossing

I've just created a manufactures badge this is circular, with text both around the edge and horizontal in the center.

I had no problems actually creating the embossing but became concerned when the file was slow loading and updating. When I checked the file size for a 2 1/4 inch Dia by 3/16 thick disk it is 5.07MB. I even ran an AV scan just incase but that came up as uninfected.

SO is it normal for an ipt created in IV 2012 with so much embossing to be so big, slow in loading and updating?

I can't post the file it's to big, The Final project is here http://grabcad.com/library/miners-safty-lamp-glenny you will probably have to register or login to see it. The actual ipt file in question is makers badge.ipt

THANKS IN ADVANCE

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Paul-Mason

@Paul-Mason wrote:

SO is it normal for an ipt created in IV 2012 with so much embossing to be so big, slow in loading and updating?

I can't post the file it's to big, Th... 

THANKS IN ADVANCE

The problem is text - create your own simplified letters with arcs an lines.

Did you roll up the EOP and zip before attempting to attach here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Paul-Mason
in reply to: JDMather

I did roll the eop marker up to the top of the part, I also zipped the resulting file still to big to post.

Thanks to your reply JD  at least I now know that it is NOT unusual for such a size file and the other problems that I encountered as a result of using a normal, windows Times new Roman font

Its just the first time I've made a part with so much text on it. I've made parts with a small amount of embosses text but not a lot and nerve really notice any problems.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 4 of 4

Hi Mason-Paul,

Another thing to check:

I've noticed that sometimes using the Emboss tool creates a larger file than the same feature created as an Extrusion.  With that in mind, you might try using the method that JDMather suggests at this link and create an offset surface, and then extrude to that surface, rather than using the actual Emboss tool. Attached is an example.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report