Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Copy Design Drops Information

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drguitarum2005
298 Views, 5 Replies

Vault Copy Design Drops Information

Has anyone else experienced this issue:

You create a part, or assembly, check it into vault, then do a copy design in Vault. When you open the copied assembly, any sheet metal parts have reverted back to default thickness, making it so flat patterns don't work right until you manually change it. Also half of my custom parameters (sheet metal length and width) go missing and I have to type them in manually. Why does Inventor 2013 drop such information?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: drguitarum2005

I just did a very quick test of an assembly that contained a sheet metal part (very simple) with the thickness set to something other than the default.  Checked it in and did a copy design.  Opened the copy and the thickness did not revert to default.  I'm not sure what could be caursing this, but I doubt that it's Inventor's fault.  I wonder of this should be posted in the Vault forum, it could be somehting going on in the Copy Design.

Message 3 of 6
drguitarum2005
in reply to: cbenner

To give you a little more information, Inventor defaults to .120 thickness out of the box, and the "Use thickness from rule" checkbox is checked. Via my template, I UNchecked that box, and manually typed in .125 thickness by default. Every new sheet metal part I make defaults to .125 (the behavior I want). When I copy design and check the sheet metal properties, that "Use thickness from rule" box is again checked, reverting it to .120 thickness.

Message 4 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: drguitarum2005

I just tested this using Vault 2014 Basic and also with Vault 2013 Basic.  Here is what I did. First created a sheetmetal part (Inventor 2013 Pro).  In the sheetmetal defaults panel, I unchecked the box for "Use Thickness from Rule" and typed in a value of .125 for the thickness.  Checked in this part and did a copy desing with both vaults.

Opened up these two copies in Inventor.  Neither of the copied parts have the "Use thickness from rule" checked.

Vault does not modify files, it is a file management system. Are you SURE you opened the file that you copied?

Message 5 of 6
drguitarum2005
in reply to: karthur1

Thanks for the testing. Yes I am sure I am opening the copy, etc. I of course can't replicate the behavior right now but next time it does it I will upload the assembly so you can see what I mean. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6

Ok this time it wasn't copy design that did it rather it was Inventor during a mirror operation. I mirrored a component in an assembly to a new part. In doing so, it kept my ".125" thickness in sheet metal properties, but it CHECKED the "use thickness from rule" box. I geuss the "rule" is set to something other than .125 because my flat pattern didn't form right. I had to delete the flat pattern, uncheck that box, then recreate the flat pattern for it to work. This hapens every time I mirror a sheet metal part within an assembly.

I also have custom LENGTH and WIDTH iproperties on my sheet metal template. Those properties get dropped when I mirror a part and have to manually go in and add them and re-type the code.

Sounds like a bug to me. Anyone else get this behavior?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report