Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using point clouds

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
QuasiMojo
7709 Views, 8 Replies

Using point clouds

I just noticed that 2013 can import point clouds; this is great news.  It's something I'd wanted for some years now. Thanks for adding that autodesk. 

There is precious little documentation on this feature.  I can happily index and attach my points (the scaling seems off...even though I set it to 1.0...) but I cannot seem to do much with the points beyond this.  Obviously, I would like to make a surface but the Surface tools don't seem to operate on these points.  There were no options during import, unlike other point imports, to make them show as points, splines, surface.

What can I do with these data?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: QuasiMojo

I've never really worked with point clouds, but since they provide points in space i'd imagine you could connect them using 3d-sketches.

You could then use the surface tools with those sketches.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- wrote:

.... i'd imagine you could connect them using 3d-sketches.

Have you tried it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: JDMather

Seeing as i've never really worked with point clouds... no.

But i can also imagine that, if you have a lot of points, this can be a near impossible task or at least a very time consuming one. Smiley Wink

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 9
heedshot

I work With Point Coulds on a daily basis but there is little more there than reference information unles you want to do like they said and take forever making a 3d sketch

Brad

Autodesk Inventoruser since 2003

2-6 core i7's in one machine with 32 gb of ram and Nvidia Quadro K5000 running Inventor Pro 2013, Spatial Analyzer, Faro Scene 5.1
Message 6 of 9
JDMather

I think at this time you would use similar to placing an image on a 2D sketch - for reference.

The point cloud serves as a sort of 3D reference image.  I think you need more expensive software to get some auto-tools for working with point clouds direclty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
QuasiMojo
in reply to: JDMather

I had a feeling that they were limited to reference geometry, but hoped I was wrong.  Still, that is better than nothing.  Thanks for your input everyone.

Message 8 of 9
dgorsman

Check the Labs, I could swear they had something in there for Inventor surfacing based on point cloud data.  But, like everything else in there, its "use at own risk", not guaranteed to always be available, yadda yadda yadda.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 9
subs

AutoCAD lets you import a point cloud (I'm on 2011).  If you shade the viewport, you get a sort-of greyscale shaded PC that looks pretty cool.  Zooming and paning around work fine.  All you can really do with it is snap to points and create construction lines.  Then surface from there or import the construction lines into another program for surfacing.

I'm Jonesin' for some serious PC tools.  They sure are slow to come. 

Buck Wyckoff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report