Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Inventor PRO on the LARGE LARGE scale??

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
i_am_fail
267 Views, 3 Replies

Using Inventor PRO on the LARGE LARGE scale??

I'm wondering about using inventor Professional on the scale of Revit MEP to design entire buildings with multiple floors.

Basically, will it crash/freeze if I try to do this?

I have my reasons for wanting to use inventor pro instead of any other software.. just need to know if this is possible, whether you think I'm crazy or not 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: i_am_fail

Contrary to what some may claim, Inventor is capable of having very large models run well.

I have created entire process plants and had minimal issues.

Having them run well, however is dependant on a few things.

Get your hardware right.

Get your pc setup right. (isolated paging files / temp folders etc)

Maintain your pc. (defrag defrag defrag - if you defrag every day without fail, it only takes 5 mins or less)

Use setout skeletons and substitution.

Its not something i would do wothout a high level of understanding how Inventor wants things done.

Message 3 of 4
i_am_fail
in reply to: Anonymous

thanks alot for that informative reply!
can you explain further?
will I be needing a 1.5k computer, or a 5k computer..

what are setout skeletons and substitution?

about the high level of inventor knowledge to do this - everyone has to start somewhere right?
I'm not making complex assemblies like you are though, just some plumbing pipe. but I intend to EXTENSIVELY use iLogic, does iLogic drain system resources?

thanks man. 

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: i_am_fail

Im not a big ilogic user (i use it, but only for specific little tools) some of the ilogic gurus could chime in on this one (curtis?)

PC

get a good mobo with a good chipset (gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 = $300)

cpu: the bigger the individual cores clock speed the better (i7 3820 $300) (or a better one if you have funds i wouldnt bother spending more than 5 or 6 hundred as bang for buck drops massivly as the price goes up from there)

ram: DDRIII dual or tripple channel 1333 or faster 8 gig min (more if your assemblies are getting big - inventor runs much better from ram than your page file) ($100 to $200)

HDD: Inventor does a lot of file accessing - solid state for you OS would be good.

if you have good redundancy (backup) then 2x raptors or similar - striped (raid0) if backup not so good go with 4x drives raid10 (the WesternDigital models with EAR in the number go good (platter density / cahce blah blah)) $100 per drive scsi great if you can afford the expense

GPU: massive debate : Inventor uses directx so the exensive CAD cards a just a waste of money for a dedicated inventor machine...a good gaming card is the go...$300 - $600 if your spending more your not getting much for your money.

My machine i built at home cost about 3500 AUD including 24" samsung monitor

It kicks the as s out of the 12000 AUD machine i have at work (HP z800 good for autocad but a waste of money for inventor)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report