Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Interference to determine cut shape?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
anderson51
1478 Views, 2 Replies

Using Interference to determine cut shape?

Is there a way to use interference checks to determine what material needs to be subtracted away from other parts to get the clearance needed? (See Attached) The way I typically handle this is to project the lines from one part onto the sketch of another and proceed accordingly, however as you can see, it didn't work out well in this instance as the face of the part in question is not parallel with the sketch plane in the other..Therefore making the cut location inaccurate.

Thanks for the help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi anderson51,

If you edit the part to be cut in context of the assembly (rather than open the part file and editing it separately), you can use the Copy Object tool to copy the other part into your part as a new Solid body. Then you can use the Combine tool to subtract the one from the other.

Alternately, you can use the Copy Object tool to copy the other part in as a Composite surface and then use the Sculpt tool to subtract it from the original part, and this will create an adaptive link, so that if you make changes to the one part the cut will update.

See this link for an example of the workflow:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/find-interference-and-add-tolerance-to.html

Note that in the example at the link, I could have used the Cut option in the Sculpt tool rather than creating a new solid. this would have saved some steps and created an adaptive link.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3

Perfect, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report