Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2012 IDW Templates in 2013.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Paul-Mason
229 Views, 4 Replies

Using 2012 IDW Templates in 2013.

In the past I've only ever used the bog standard IDW templates that ship with inventor, now I have some customised ones that I want to kee using

So can my customised IDW template files simply be copied from the 2012 template folder the 2013 folder like a normal file copy? Or will they need to be migrated?

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: Paul-Mason

I haven't upgraded to 2013 yet, but my VAR told us when we do, all we have to do is simply callup the templates in a 2013 session and save them and they will be automatically upgraded.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5

Correct!

By opening the files in 2013, and then saving them, they will be "migrated" to 2013 and thus become 2013 files.

This has been the norm ofr a while now if I recall.

One thing to consider though is if you used Styles in your templates, they are now called "Appearences" and so you might see numerous error menus pop up and it could cause some confusion or incorrect actions.

I've simply taken the path of recreating the templates in 2013 and not dealing or worrying about a user making the wrong selection. Plus, if gave me the chance to finally fix any issues in the templates I've been putting off....;)

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Jim for the tip.

Fortunately I am an admin in my department so I am the one that can fix the templates before anyone else gets their hands on them.  I have heard about the styles being called appearances.  So I am at least aware of that.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG   vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5

@CelticDesignServices wrote:

One thing to consider though is if you used Styles in your templates, they are now called "Appearences" and so you might see numerous error menus pop up and it could cause some confusion or incorrect actions.

Color styles & Material styles became Appearance & Material libraries in 2013.  Styles have not changed otherwise.  All the styles you use in drawings are still there just as you are used to.  Again, only Colors and Materials changed; all other styles remain as they were.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report