Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 2013, Where did my Sheet Metal Rules Go?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jeanchile
1041 Views, 6 Replies

Upgrade to 2013, Where did my Sheet Metal Rules Go?

So we just upgraded to PDSU 2013 over the holiday break and the first part I try to create runs into an issue. We had 30-some-odd custom sheet metal rules that have disappeared out of all our standard sheet metal templates. Where did they go and how do I get them all back?

The templates were migrated using the Task Scheduler.

Inventor Professional
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: jeanchile

S-M rule/styles are now stored in the Style Manager and not the template(s)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: blair

Yea, that's where we had them in 2011. Only one of our Sheet Metal Rules and one of our Sheet Metal Unfold rules show up. The others are not loading for some reason. Did we blow the migration somewhere? Any ideas on what we could check out? I can't seem to figure out how to get them over to 2013. I'm sure there are some ".xml" files but I wouldn't know what to do with them if I go get them from the Design Data folder. How were we supposed to migrate them?

Thanks for the help!

Inventor Professional
Message 4 of 7
blair

There is an import button on the Styles WCapture.JPGindow if you have your old XML style.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
jeanchile

You are always generous with your time blair, and I thank you for it. As it turns out, there was a mistake made in the migration process where the use of the Style Library Manager was omitted because of something my IT person read in the Color/Materials migration document where it said it wasn't used in 2013. That was specifically talking about the new materials/appearances library stuff though. Once I noticed through your Import dialog box that it was looking for a different file type (".styxml" vs. ".xml") I was able to ascertain the missing step. You led me where I needed to go.

Once we migrated all of the Styles over we have all of the sheet metal rules we needed.

The Colors/Materials thing is another story. That, like the experience of many others, has become a huge cluster for us. I'm still trying to figure that whole thing out and I'll create a new thread if needed.

Thanks again for your help!

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 7
blair

Think of the Materials option as the physical properties, mass and density and comes with a default color. If we used Steel as the Material, it would have a mass and density with a default color of Grey. By simply changing the appearance, you can have Red Steel or Blue Steel. You have not changed the mass or density, only the color appearance.

If your Material is Steel, you can have the Appearance of machined aluminum. All the physical properties that get passed on to FEA or for the Mass are still that of Steel, yet it may look like machined aluminum.

Materials = Physical Properties (mass, density, thermal properties, yield and tensile

Appearance = color and surface texture (bit-map)

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7
jeanchile

Thanks again blair. Most of us in the office understand the change and what it was about but your post is helpful. Somehow, even after following the PDF about migrating these styles, we blew the process anyway and none of our custom color styles or materials made it over properly.

We have a lot of material styles linked to old color styles that are "transparent" like .177" Dia., 2"x2" Woven Wire Mesh that all come in without the transparent surface that we created and we're not sure how to get that fixed at this point.

We're still trying to find out what we ended up with and how fix it all but because none of us know how to use the new material/appearance browser we haven't even started the process yet. It's on the task list to start figuring this out this afternoon. As I get more information and know what to ask, I'll start a new thread so others can find this information quickly if needed.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report