Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Quanities in Parts List based on Parameter in Assembly?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nickv02
287 Views, 3 Replies

Update Quanities in Parts List based on Parameter in Assembly?

Inventor 2012.

Attached is a screenshot of my .idw file with a Parts List based off a .iam Assembly of a sheet metal door.  My question is how would I input the total quantity of doors in the .iam in order to update the Parts List quantity column?  I have a lot of user inputs in the .iam file set up to change width, height, etc that are based off of Parameters in the .iam, but I don't know how the user can enter assembly quantities in order to get the Parts List to update the Quantity column correctly?

I have attempted using custom iProperties but can't figure out any kind of formula to get it to display based off a user input Parameter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: nickv02

Not a direct answer to your question, but possibly another way to go about getting what you want:

What about putting your door assembly into a "Shear List Assembly", and doing a rectangular pattern of it?  If you do a one row or one column pattern, then the "count" parameter for the pattern becomes a multiplier for the number of doors.

You then place a "Parts Only" parts list from the Shear List Assembly, so it will show the parts of the door instead of just listing the 5 doors.  All you have to do to update to a different quantity of doors is change that parameter for the pattern.

Message 3 of 4
nickv02
in reply to: jtylerbc

Editing my post:

I was using the wrong rectangular pattern tool.  Your idea worked, and I think I can make it work for my parts list.

Thanks so much !!!!

Message 4 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: nickv02

Hah!  Wrote my post explaining what you were doing wrong as you were posting that you'd figured it out yourself.

Glad it worked for you - seems like a much easier way than trying to have it do odd things with the quantities in your door assembly.  This way your quantities in the door assembly (and any related drawings) are correct for one unit, but you can get a list quickly of what you need for any quantity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report