Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresolved Link to a Deleted Part

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
CrAzY-MiKe
5891 Views, 8 Replies

Unresolved Link to a Deleted Part

I was recently updating an assembly which contained a part that had been subsequently deleted from my folders. I skipped it while opening the assembly, then deleted the part in the Model Tree (and replaced it with a different component). So, to summarize, the assembly no longer has the part in the Tree, and the part does not exist anymore on my system. These parts and assemblies have not been Vaulted, so that should not be an issue either.

My problem is that every time I open the assembly, it wants me to resolve this deleted part, and I have to skip it every time just to proceed. Once the file is loaded, I get no other issues, no "red cross" items, just a question mark next to the file name at the top of the Tree indicating that the file needs to be resolved.

The old part is gone; I tried recreating it using the same file name, and using the same third-party SAT file from which it was originally generated, but Inventor detects that it's not the original part and won't accept it.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get past this "part resolution" issue?

Thanks,

CrAzY-MiKe

Michael Hollingsworth
CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation
Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing Collection 2021
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jtylerbc
in reply to: CrAzY-MiKe

I know you said this was originally an imported SAT model so this is unlikely, but is it possible that you have a parameter linked to the part?  That could cause the assembly to still be looking for it even though the part has been removed from the assembly.

Message 3 of 9
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: jtylerbc

I checked, and there is no link in the Parameter table to that old part, or any other part for that matter. All the parameters in the table are consumed by constraints in the assembly. When you delete a part, any constraints associated with it also disappear, so I'm pretty sure there aren't some abandoned contraints floating around in the background.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'm glad someone else is mulling this over.

Michael Hollingsworth
Message 4 of 9
jtylerbc

Didn't think that would be the case, but I had a similar situation once that turned out to be due to parameter linking, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hopefully someone else will come along with a better idea.  In the meantime, a couple of other suggestions:

1) Make sure there aren't any additional copies of the part buried somewhere in the component patterns.

2) Just noticed this is an iAssembly - check your iAssembly table to make sure there aren't any leftover references to the part there (Suppress/Include states, etc).

Message 5 of 9
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input. I will check for possible buried copies of it.

I also deleted the iAssembly table, since I had only just begun working on it anyway. No change, so that's probably not involved either. Worst case, I'll just rebuild from scratch.

Michael Hollingsworth
Message 6 of 9
CrAzY-MiKe

FINALLY WORKED IT OUT!

The offending (and no longer extant) part had been replaced by a similar one in the assembly. I had deleted the unresolved entry in the model tree and then placed a current part in the assembly.

On a hunch (or desperate guess) I deleted that replacement part from the assembly, saved my work, closed and re-opened the file.

When Inventor prompted me to resolve the missing file once again, I browsed to the similar one and Inventor accepted the substitution. I was then able to re-place the new part, constrain it and move on.

So apparently it wasn't letting me substitute a part that was already in the assembly. I had to delete the part, then do the sub, then place the part again. Go figure!

Michael Hollingsworth
Message 7 of 9
akosi

hi,

i have the same problem, but in this case , somebody did the assembly so therefore i dont know what was replaced.

the unresolved file is not in the tree nor in the vault.

how to resolved this.

help!

inventor 2011

vault 2012

Message 8 of 9
Python99
in reply to: akosi

I spent a lot of time researching this and found no answer. Highly frustrating there isn't an option to break the links. The work around is as follows. I created a new part and immediately hit save. Name the part anything such as "temp". Open the assembly and resolve the missing files to the temp part. Click yes through the errors and now there will at least be a part in the tree somewhere. Load bill of materials and on the model data tab perform a find (Ctrl+F) to locate all the occurrences. Delete all occurrences and the problem should be fixed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report