Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save STEP file

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
nstalker
1875 Views, 13 Replies

Unable to save STEP file

I ran into this problem today.  It only happens with this one file so far.  It is a STEP file.  I open it in Inventor and then when I hit save it gives me an error.  

The system cannot find the path specified.
The database in C:\Users\nstalker\Documents\Inventor\DesktopAssetCreation2\Imported Components\C731222M-U2 \68514423656.ipt could not be saved
The database in C:\Users\nstalker\Documents\Inventor\DesktopAssetCreation2\Imported Components\C731222M-U2 \11505_3.ipt could not be saved

etc. etc. etc. for every single part

I have tried to save it on two different computers with two different projects and I get the same error.  Any ideas?  I have never ran into this problem before and I open and save STEP files often.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: nstalker

Can you zip and attach the original STEP file here?

Not sure if this would have anything to do with it - but do you have the Options set to NOT create a translation report?

Can you post a screen shot of you Options?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
nstalker
in reply to: JDMather

I'd like to but it is proprietary.  What would you be looking for if you opened the STEP file?  Just wondering to see if it's something I can look for.

Message 4 of 14
CCarreiras

Hi!

Never happened to me, but...

When open the step, go to options and select the option to save the files during migration... it's just a guess... or try other preferences,  good luck

Regards.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
JDMather

@nstalker wrote:

What would you be looking for if you opened the STEP file?  Just wondering to see if it's something I can look for.

The Options.

If that didn't reveal anything I might then try opening the STEP in Notepad and take a look around (not sure if that would reveal anything).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 14
nstalker

thanks for the responses.  I think the STEP file is OK because I am able to open it and everything comes through.  I just can't save it.  I tried going into the options selecting the checkbox that save components as it creates them but it creates the first component then gives me the message that it can't save it and then repeats that for every component.  I've tried saving it inside and outside of the project.

At the moment I'm trying a different route.  I've opened the STEP file in NX and I'm exporting it to a parasolid and then I will try opening it in Inventor and saving it but it's kind of lame if I have to do that.

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

@nstalker wrote:

I think the STEP file is OK because I am able to open it and everything comes through.  I just can't save it. 

Does it pass quality check (green checkmarks)?
Can you post a screen shot of the Inventor browser?

I'm wondering about a special character in filename(s).

Also, did you try a File>Save Copy As?

Can you right click on each part - Open and try to Save Copy As individual parts?

Message 8 of 14
nstalker

Should I select "Check Parts during Load"?

Message 9 of 14
nstalker

Here is a screenshot of the browser bar

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 14
nstalker

It worked when I opened the STEP file in NX, exported a Parasolid, and then opened the parasolid in Inventor.  Inventor allowed me to save the parasolid.

Message 11 of 14
CCarreiras

HI!

Maybe because the NX is a powerfull program to work with surfaces.... and solve lot's of issues than Inventor and others can't do.

Regards.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
BarryZA

I have spent the week trying to save files that I imported from a .step file into Inventor, and then had to save as .stl (don't ask).

What I noticed is that Inv will only let me save the files if they are solids, it refuses to save the ones that came through as surfaces (due to open loops etc.). I noticed in your browser that you have a couple of surfaces, maybe they are holding you up as well.

Message 13 of 14
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi nstalker,

From your screenshot I guess your STEP file name is "C731222M-U2 .stp ", please try to remove the spacebar in its file name to "C731222M-U2.stp" and have a try.

Regards, 

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 14 of 14
nstalker
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

thanks for the suggestions - I will come back to this if I run into this again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report