Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find suitable modelling method for a part - advice needed please

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1053 Views, 10 Replies

Unable to find suitable modelling method for a part - advice needed please

Hi All

Please see attached image (I have tried to attach the part file but file size is to large to upload). I have created a sheet metal part, then converted to a solid component to utilize the bend tool. The actual part will need to overlap at the ends and will be joined using spot welds. I would like to be able to illustrate the overlap in the inventor model if possible but have run out of ideas on how to achieve this.

Before I call it a day and revert to AutoCAD or sketch this into a IDW, I'd appreciate some suggestions. Is this achievable in the 3D environment?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Andrew

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mark.Downes
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I had a quick go at this using contour roll and 2 unfolds to get to a flat state.

Sketched a profile (I just did a quick rectangle) cut extrude, pattern feature, followed by 2 refolds.

hope this works ok

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2013

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Downes

Thanks for that. Please note that I am using IV2012 so haven't been able to open the part file that you attached.

I think that essentially you have created something that is very similar to my attempt using a contour roll instead of the contour flange that I opted for?

To elaborate on my initial post, the key point that I was trying to make (apologies if I was a bit vague) is that I need the ends of this part to overlap as the actual part will be joined with spot welds (two pieces of metal on top of one another and welded through both sections). This, specifically is what I am struggling with on this part.

Am I delving into something that is beyond the capabilities of the software?

Cheers

Andrew

Message 4 of 11
-niels-

From what i understand seeing the pictures, to get an overlap there need to be 2 bends with slightly offset centerlines.

You could use the contour roll for that, making half your shape on one centerline then making the other half bend in/outward by using the other slightly offset centerline.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All

(I have tried to attach the part file but file size is to large to upload). I have created a sheet metal part, then converted to a solid component to utilize the bend tool.

Andrew

Find the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the feature tree.

Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the filename in Windows Explorer and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here (it will now be much much smaller).

I would not use Bend Part in a sheet metal part (if the goal is to have a flat pattern).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

..., then converted to a solid component to utilize the bend tool.

Andrew

Also - you do not need to convert to the standard solid to use the tools on sheet metal part (but you need to follow valid techniques for sheet metal parts).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Ok. I have attached the part file. Thanks for that advice.

With regard to the use of the bend part tool, I would prefer not to have to convert the part and then bend it but have not found another method as yet, hence my request for help here. Yes, I would like to have a flat pattern if possible.

With regard to using bend part without converting the part to a solid, again, I have not been able to replicate anything similar using the sheet metal tools.

The main issue seems to be that I am restricted to increasing/decreasing the length of the part by a whole 'pitch' at a time to ensure that I have the correct overlap for spot welding and fit inside its housing is good. I have had to create a single 'pitch' then pattern the part before bending in the attached part. Will need to tweak the bend radius to get the overlap just right.

Of course, I am fully expecting some more experienced sheet metal experts to suggest a better method and would very much like to be enlightened. Any further comments much appreciated.

Thanks all for your help thus far.

Andrew

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

I haven't attempted a solution yet, but a few quick observations -

You can unfold in one feature rather than using 3 features by selecting the collect All Bend when doing the unfold.

Use only sheet metal tools when possible (Do not use Extrude, the results are the same... but.....)

My attempt will not use a Contour Flange but will use Contour Roll, but I am concerned about lap joint overlap.  That might be a bit tricky.

Also - you Sketch2 is sick.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Apologies, I hadn't realised that Sketch 2 wasn't very well! I hope it isn't contagious.

Thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I have attached two more files. One of which is not far off but still not really a true representation of what I will end up with in reality (a bit of a botch job really), it's just about good enough for me to get my point across on the drawing that will be created. I am particularly concerned about this item as I will be sending information to a 'low cost country' and therefor do not like the idea of describing what is required in detail using extensive drawing notes if I can help it. Much better to be able to present a really good detail view.

The other file is my attempt at using the contour roll tool to achieve what I need but I have found that I can not refold the part unless i leave the stationary reference intact per the current model state. If I cut this excess section away prior to refolding, Inventor will not compute as the stationary reference has been cut away. My intention was produce a circular pattern of this part and get two patterns to overlap somehow.

I would really like to be enlightened on this one as this is a typical sheet metal component for us so if I can establish a suitable method for getting what I want it will be of much use in the future. Any further comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

It's been a while. Any more takers on this one?

Thanks

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report