Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 1 of 9 (594 Views)

Unable to expand assembly in presentation (ipn)

594 Views, 8 Replies
11-19-2012 02:35 AM

We have the following problem / bug and i was wondering if others can reproduce it.

(IV2013, SP1.1)

When adding a new sub-assembly to an existing ipn, the newly added assembly doesn't have the + sign to expand it. (see image)

Steps:

1. create a part. (anything will do) - Part1

2. make an assembly and add Part1 a few times. - Assembly1

3. make another assembly and add Assembly1 a couple of times. - Assembly2

4. create a presentation file with Assembly2, add a tweak for good measure. - Assembly2.ipn

5. Save the ipn. (and any other unsaved files)

6. now go back to Assembly2 and add another instance of Assembly1.

7. look at the presentation again, if it's the same as our situation there shouldn't be a + next to the newly added instance.

If anyone can confirm this or perhaps knows of a way to fix it, without having to recreate the entire ipn, it would be greatly appreciated.

Using IV2014 Pro SP2 - upd.1, Win7-64bit
*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 2 of 9 (587 Views)

Re: Unable to expand assembly in presentation (ipn)

11-19-2012 04:45 AM in reply to: -niels-

Ok, just to add a little more weirdness, here are a few more steps.

After making the ipn with the assembly that doesn't expand, do the following:

8. open Assembly1 and add another instance of Part1

9. go back to the ipn, there should now be a + next to the instance that previously didn't have one.

10. expand this instance to find it only shows the last instance of Part1 that was just added.

Attached is an image of the situation.

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 3 of 9 (565 Views)

11-19-2012 02:23 PM in reply to: -niels-

Been like that since it IPN was added a long time ago, I now only do my IPN after the model "IAM" is completed.

The Presentation module has been a bit of a add-in and not much has changed since it was added back about 8 years ago. I really think they want us to buy Inventor Publisher rather than make improvements to the IPN module within Inventor.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 4 of 9 (549 Views)

11-19-2012 11:18 PM in reply to: blair

Can't say i ever noticed the behavior before, but then again we did change our workflow a bit over the last year.

I must agree with you on the fact that there hasn't been much change to the ipn environment.

Heck, you can almost say there has been NO improvement to it.

I'm kinda keeping my fingers crossed that they will add Publisher to the suite package, because ipn's are just really falling behind on the rest of inventor.

Still, it would be nice if there was a way to correct this problem...

We did figure out that replacing the assembly through "component - replace" gives a partially corrected list, just 1 lvl though... but at least that's something...

*Pro
sbixler
Message 5 of 9 (542 Views)

11-20-2012 03:48 AM in reply to: blair

blair wrote:

... I really think they want us to buy Inventor Publisher rather than make improvements to the IPN module within Inventor.

I hope that's not what they're thinking.  Inventor Publisher is easy to use and produces very nice end results, but I need to make Inventor drawings of exploded assemblies-- IP is useless for that purpose.  I keep hoping that the explosion functionality of IP will be incorporated into Inventor for making .ipn presentations.

*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 6 of 9 (513 Views)

12-05-2012 07:24 AM in reply to: -niels-

Ok, fairly certain this is a bug with ipn's now...

Already had my doubts of ever seeing this behavior before, but now an entire browser tree dissappeared after replacing a subassembly

See attached image.

Can someone from autodesk please take a look at this?

*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 7 of 9 (401 Views)

04-25-2013 11:57 PM in reply to: -niels-
Just tried these same steps (from my first post) in IV2014 and it still behaved the same.
Guess i'm going to have to open a support ticket for this...

WaynePriest
Message 8 of 9 (327 Views)

06-17-2013 06:55 AM in reply to: -niels-

I also have this problem.

see attached pic, all assemblies without "+" sign were added/changed from original assembly used to create presentation.

Does anyone know if  a fix for this is being worked on.

*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 9 of 9 (310 Views)

06-17-2013 11:29 PM in reply to: WaynePriest
I had made a support request on this, which i got a reply to that it was a known issue with AD development and that they increased the priority on it so it would get fixed.
So i have my fingers crossed.

At least most idea's on the ideastation regarding presentations have been accepted, so there's promise for future versions.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube