Inventor General

Active Contributor
prajwal
Message 1 of 9 (408 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to create Contour Flange in a Sheet metal.

408 Views, 8 Replies
03-13-2014 12:01 PM

Hello Everyone, I am unable to create contour flange on this rolled sheet metal piece. The " Contour Flange Sketch" is supposed to go from "XY Plane" to "Flange Stop Plane". Inventor is not letting me create the flange at all. Gives me an error message saying:

Sheet Metal: Contour Flange Creation failed.
     Roll.ipt: Errors occurred during update
       Not a valid sheet metal edge: adjacent face thickness may be different from sheet metal settings.
         Feature Compute failed.

What I dont understand is that the thickness of the plate as well as the thicken surface  is the same i.e. 0.625".

Any sugegssions are highly appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 9 (395 Views)

Re: Unable to create Contour Flange in a Sheet metal.

03-13-2014 12:40 PM in reply to: prajwal

For whatever it is worth - see attached.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
prajwal
Message 3 of 9 (366 Views)

03-14-2014 06:37 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thank You JDMather.

Why do you think the flat pattern is n ot coming right after the flange is added. Is there any other better way of making this part in a  fundamentally different way for getting a correct pattern?

Valued Contributor
Mario428
Message 4 of 9 (354 Views)

03-14-2014 08:37 AM in reply to: prajwal

prajwal wrote:

Thank You JDMather.

Why do you think the flat pattern is n ot coming right after the flange is added. Is there any other better way of making this part in a  fundamentally different way for getting a correct pattern?

Your whole part is fundementally flawed, the loftsrf has to be a lofted flange with a small straight section at the end of each curve, then you may have a chance of drawing this part.

I would like to know what equipment your business has at its disposal that this part can even be made somewhat closely to the design intent.

Again and again it gets repeated, making sheetmetal parts means using the "sheet metal" tab, Inventor knows more about making sheet metal parts than most of us.

Active Contributor
prajwal
Message 5 of 9 (346 Views)

03-14-2014 11:04 AM in reply to: Mario428

Well, even after creating the part using sheet metal commands the flange can still not be made. Apparantly the sheet metal thickness is changed by .005" when I do the extrusion cut. Any idea on how this can be avoided?

We have a Plasma cutting machine to cut the flat pattern and a 4-roll plate roll to roll it accordingly.

Valued Contributor
Mario428
Message 6 of 9 (343 Views)

03-14-2014 11:11 AM in reply to: prajwal

prajwal wrote:

Well, even after creating the part using sheet metal commands the flange can still not be made. Apparantly the sheet metal thickness is changed by .005" when I do the extrusion cut. Any idea on how this can be avoided?

We have a Plasma cutting machine to cut the flat pattern and a 4-roll plate roll to roll it accordingly.

I am taking my computer home for the weekend and will try back up my statements and do the part in sheet metal.

Unless there is much more machinery than that you cannot make that part, with a really good press brake operator you may get close.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 7 of 9 (336 Views)

03-14-2014 12:20 PM in reply to: prajwal

Check this one.

(but you did Extrusion 2 and 3 incorrectly - not the correct way to trim a sheet metal part)

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
prajwal
Message 8 of 9 (329 Views)

03-14-2014 12:43 PM in reply to: JDMather

Thank You JD for the fix. Works like a charm.

I was trying to stick with sheet metal and not going with surface and thickening at all, but it seems to work in this case for me. What would be a good way to trim sheet metal, specially the ones that are rolled without having to do it from surface modelling? Inventor should have a functionality to do such operation that would preserve the thickness of the sheet metal at the cut edges. Any thoughts..

Valued Contributor
Mario428
Message 9 of 9 (304 Views)

03-17-2014 03:20 AM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather wrote:

Check this one.

(but you did Extrusion 2 and 3 incorrectly - not the correct way to trim a sheet metal part)

Did not reply was off for the weekend. Saw this model and it works so did nothing myself.

Have never used the "thicken" feature but see the benefit of it on this part.

Very nicely done JD.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube