Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create Contour Flange in a Sheet metal.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
prajwal
2464 Views, 10 Replies

Unable to create Contour Flange in a Sheet metal.

Hello Everyone, I am unable to create contour flange on this rolled sheet metal piece. The " Contour Flange Sketch" is supposed to go from "XY Plane" to "Flange Stop Plane". Inventor is not letting me create the flange at all. Gives me an error message saying:

Sheet Metal: Contour Flange Creation failed.
     Roll.ipt: Errors occurred during update
       Not a valid sheet metal edge: adjacent face thickness may be different from sheet metal settings.
         Feature Compute failed.

What I dont understand is that the thickness of the plate as well as the thicken surface  is the same i.e. 0.625".

Any sugegssions are highly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: prajwal

For whatever it is worth - see attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
prajwal
in reply to: JDMather

Thank You JDMather.

Why do you think the flat pattern is n ot coming right after the flange is added. Is there any other better way of making this part in a  fundamentally different way for getting a correct pattern?

Message 4 of 11
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank You JDMather.

Why do you think the flat pattern is n ot coming right after the flange is added. Is there any other better way of making this part in a  fundamentally different way for getting a correct pattern?

Your whole part is fundementally flawed, the loftsrf has to be a lofted flange with a small straight section at the end of each curve, then you may have a chance of drawing this part.

I would like to know what equipment your business has at its disposal that this part can even be made somewhat closely to the design intent.

Again and again it gets repeated, making sheetmetal parts means using the "sheet metal" tab, Inventor knows more about making sheet metal parts than most of us.

Message 5 of 11
prajwal
in reply to: Mario428

Well, even after creating the part using sheet metal commands the flange can still not be made. Apparantly the sheet metal thickness is changed by .005" when I do the extrusion cut. Any idea on how this can be avoided?

We have a Plasma cutting machine to cut the flat pattern and a 4-roll plate roll to roll it accordingly.

Message 6 of 11
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, even after creating the part using sheet metal commands the flange can still not be made. Apparantly the sheet metal thickness is changed by .005" when I do the extrusion cut. Any idea on how this can be avoided?

We have a Plasma cutting machine to cut the flat pattern and a 4-roll plate roll to roll it accordingly.

I am taking my computer home for the weekend and will try back up my statements and do the part in sheet metal.

Unless there is much more machinery than that you cannot make that part, with a really good press brake operator you may get close.

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

Check this one.

(but you did Extrusion 2 and 3 incorrectly - not the correct way to trim a sheet metal part)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
prajwal

Thank You JD for the fix. Works like a charm.

I was trying to stick with sheet metal and not going with surface and thickening at all, but it seems to work in this case for me. What would be a good way to trim sheet metal, specially the ones that are rolled without having to do it from surface modelling? Inventor should have a functionality to do such operation that would preserve the thickness of the sheet metal at the cut edges. Any thoughts..

Message 9 of 11
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Check this one.

(but you did Extrusion 2 and 3 incorrectly - not the correct way to trim a sheet metal part)

Did not reply was off for the weekend. Saw this model and it works so did nothing myself.

Have never used the "thicken" feature but see the benefit of it on this part.

Very nicely done JD.

Message 10 of 11

Hello,

I have a problem with the combination of flange and countur roll in one part. When I designed this part, I cannot generate a flat platter. I add picture this part. Flange high is 5mm and high in operation countour roll is also 5mm.

Thanks for answer and I sorry for my english.

Message 11 of 11

@slawomir.zmijewski5TWPM 

You should have started a new thread for this new problem. (This discussion has been marked as Solved.)

You should Attach your *.ipt file here.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report