Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twisted Wire Texture?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mbystry
2064 Views, 11 Replies

Twisted Wire Texture?

I'm getting awfully frustrated on a model that I'm working on. I've modeled a "twisted-in wire brush" and I'm getting graphic/model glitches. Every now and then when I zoom in on the model it becomes an abstract mess. It has something to do with the twisted wire portion of my model. It's just a simple coil (sketch: 2 circles twisted downward) feature but Inventor keeps choking. 

My question: Does anyone have a twisted wire texture that perhaps I could try. I'm not quite sure how to make it myself. Plus, Inventor 2014's entire Material/Appearance library is a real dog's breakfast. What used to be be rather simple for me has become a challange.

Thank-you

Inv 2014 Pro, Build 170, Update 2 applied

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: mbystry

graphics card/driver version?

Have you tried changing the settings in ..tools..application options..hardware tab?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
mbystry
in reply to: mcgyvr

graphics card/driver version?

nVidia Quadro FX 3800 / 9.18.13.697

I attached an image of what I see in part mode, assembly mode and drawing mode. If I open the offending twisted wire model and do a rebuild then it goes away. I've tried changing the coil feature settings slightly too. Moreover, I tried every option in my hardware display settings. Nothing. It's currently set in "performance" mode.

Message 4 of 12
mbystry

...and of course this is what it looks like after I rebuild everything. It's only temporary as the graphic glitch eventually returns.

Message 5 of 12
Yijiang.Cai

I took a look at the image you attached, and created one coil like the model in the image. And the graphic view looks fine. Could you attach the model? So that we could have further investigation.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 6 of 12
mbystry

Sure. It's an assembly. A handle, a twisted wire and a brush. The twisted wire is what is giving me fits so I'll just attach that. I can add the others if needed.

I also updated my graphics driver to the latest certified (Autodesk Inventor) driver for Inv 2014.

Message 7 of 12
mcgyvr

I'd be running this driver if I was you.. I ALWAYS use the latest driver from the manufacturers website and have never really had any problems. (I assumed Win7 64 bit OS)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-tesla-grid-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.86-whql-driver.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 12
Ray_Feiler

FWIW I can reproduce this issue with just a zoom in. It corrects itself when I zoom out. I'm using Quality mode.

Xi® MTower™ PCIe Workstation
Intel® Core™ i7 2700K @ 4.10GHz
16384MB DDR3 @1333MHz Dual Rank Interleave
nVidia® EVGA® GeForce® GTX 580 Classified 3072MB GDDR5

Display driver 320.49
500GB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 16MB Cache IntelliSeek™
Asus® P8P67 Motherboard
27" S27A350H ToC Samsung® SyncMaster™ Wide LED 2ms. 1920x1080
850W Corsair® TX Series Power Supply

Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional Edition 64Bit SP1

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 9 of 12
Ray_Feiler

Another thing I notice with this file is it will show the issue with just a highlight. GraphicsIssue1 shows no highlight and GraphicsIssue2 shows it with highlight.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 10 of 12
mbystry

Well good! At least it's not just me experiencing this issue. I thought perhaps it was the lofts that I used to connect the wire handle loop to the twisted wire. I suppressed those features but still see the defect on zoom.

Btw, my driver version is 307.45. Again no improvement there.

Message 11 of 12
mbystry
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'll install the 320.86 driver. I guess I always had gone with whatever version was certified to work with Inventor, which wasn't usually the latest driver.

Message 12 of 12
Yijiang.Cai

Many thanks for you to report this issue to us! We could reproduce this behavior, and it has been logged as 1503656 in our system. And it is interesting that it will work fine after clicking rebuild all. 

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report