Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube and Pipe

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1461 Views, 8 Replies

Tube and Pipe

Does anyone know how to make a smaller pipe connect to a larger pipe and it makes the proper hole in the bigger pipe? Here's a screen shot of what I'm looking at. Also, I don;t know how to place the flange without using assembly constraints. I have to place the flange, constrain it into place and then create the route to make the pipe. Any thoughts on this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous

Wouldn't you want to use some sort of branch fitting, like a weldolet?  Those are in the Content Center, and when used, will create the hole in the main pipe for you.

Message 3 of 9
Shawn_79
in reply to: cbenner

We also use pipe stab-ins; unfortunatly we have not gotten to that point of our implemenation yet.  I would look at the process that allows an o-let to create a hole and try to duplicate it in a pipe style part.  Does your pipe end remain square or is it coped to match the ID of the pipe it is connecting to?

I look forward to your progress on this problem since we will probably be looking at the same problem in a few months.

Best of luck.

Shawn

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Shawn_79

I would like for it to cope in automatically. I could always create an assembly level cutout for the pipe, but I was hoping that the tube and pipe module would do this for me. It would help out on making nozzles for tanks for example.

Message 5 of 9
cbenner

There is a section somewhere in the help that details how to author branch fittings... if only I could find it again.  Using this procedure, you could create a branch fitting that looked however you want... we have several custom styles that were not in the CC out of the box.  As for coping,... I don't know if there is any way to get that to happen automatically. 

I will look further for that help section later, if I can find it I'll post the link.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I'll do some experimenting on custom branch fittings. I also got stuck on finding a nipple threaded on one side only. Anyone have a good solution for this?

Message 7 of 9
cbenner

Message 8 of 9
cwhetten

I have attached a couple of custom CC parts that I have created.  One is a Spears pipe saddle that is authored as a branch-type fitting.  It automatically cuts the pipe onto which you mount it (I think, you will have to check the authoring settings--I can't remember if I checked that option or not).  To do what you wish, you would follow the exact same principles, but the actual part geometry will be different (a coped pipe instead of a saddle).  It's no big deal to create the coping, just model it into the iPart.

As for a pipe threaded on one end only, I had to create my own pipe family in the CC for that.  I have attached the iPart I used for this.  I authored the non-threaded end as a Jointed fitting type.  I haven't tried to use this in a Pipe Style yet, so I don't know how it works in that environment.  I just use it to "Place as custom" from the CC.

I think the saddle is a 2010 file, and the pipe is 2011.

-cwhetten

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks for the sample files. I'll give them a try sometime.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report