Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with stp file

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
mrattray
918 Views, 17 Replies

Trouble with stp file

I'm having trouble opening this step file in Inventor 2013. I get the below error message which is what you usually see when you try to open an Inventor file that was saved in a newer version, but why would I see it with a step file? If I try more than once Inventor crashes. I tried opening it in 2014 and it opens fine; I then tried saving it back to a new step file from 2014 and still encountered the same error in 2013. Has anybody else encountered this problem before or open the file in 2013?

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
DeerSpotter
in reply to: mrattray

sometimes i get that error too, this code fixes it for me weird. 

My_extension_1 = InputBox("Enter Extension", "Type in the Extension you Want", "Fill in Extension ex: .stl .jpg .pdf")

'My_extension_2 = ".pdf"

ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(ThisDoc.ChangeExtension(My_extension_1), True)

'UPDATE: Using the line Of iLogic code above will save the files in the same folder As the 2D drawing. If you want To save it In a different folder you can predifine the location Using the following:

'choose the place to save at? Possibly ask to save?
'strFolder = "D:\files\" & ThisDoc.FileName(False) 'without extension

'ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(strFolder & (".jpg") , True)
'ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(strFolder & (".pdf") , True)

MessageBox.Show("All file formats saved", "File Save")

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 3 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: DeerSpotter

That doesn't do anything for me.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 18
DeerSpotter

does this open up for you? 

i saved this in 2014

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 5 of 18
mrattray

No that doesn't work. I tried it myself earlier, too.
I've also found that:
1) It appears that all of the designers at my company are affected as of yesterday.
2) We can't open any neutral format files in 2013 including files that we successfully imported previously.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 18
DeerSpotter

Try this

Go and open new .ipt 

go to manage tab, import and find your file and import it. 

might need to export as iges or something else untill issue is resolved.

try this.JPG

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 7 of 18
rdyson

Rhino opened it fine. Here's the 3dm, it opens in 2014 mostly solids and 1 surface that looks like it will be simple to fix.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: rdyson

The .3dm doesn't open for me in 2013, either (no error message, just a crash). Interestingly, I tried teleguz's suggestion not expecting anything different and I found that:
With a .stp I get a different message: "File Translator Operation is not yet Supported"
With a .sat it works. How odd is that?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 18
DeerSpotter

I worked for a company one time that had issues exporting .dxf one time. I fixed that by reregestering the files. Ill attach something here soon.

Correct me if im wrong, you guys just recently switched to 2014? I know we had issues similar to this exspecially with Vault 😕 

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 10 of 18
mrattray

We have not yet switched to 2014, we're still on 2013. I have a copy of 2014 installed on my machine to "play with".
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 18
DeerSpotter

here is a .bat script i created for you... Good Luck! 

this is for 2014 inventor

for 2013 right click edit the bat and change the 2014 in the links to 2013 and it should work. 

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 12 of 18
rdyson

I just opened the step in 2012 (took forever) and the 3dm in 2013 with no problem.
Sounds like you have a user permission problem. You might try logging in as a different user to see if that might be it.

PDSU 2016
Message 13 of 18
mrattray

I tried your batch file, it was no help.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: rdyson

I am having this problem with other users on other machines.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 18
CESAR200

Hello Mike,

Your problem seems to happen only in your company's machines.  I can open the file without any issues in 2013 in a matter of seconds.

It might be a good idea to follow rdyson's advice and test with a different user account.  I would create a brand new account with Administrator privileges to see if the problem is reproducible.

If this started happening just a few days ago, check if there were any updates or changes in your network that may have affected all users.

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 18
MechEng_1

Oh Dear the might mrattray has an issue, we are all doomed!!! 🙂

Just to rub salt in the wound I just tried to open your .stp file in 2013 and it worked no problem opening also in a few seconds. So it appears to be your company.

Message 17 of 18
JDMather

@mrattray wrote:
..... we're still on 2013. I have a copy of 2014 installed on my machine to "play with".
It sounds to me like Inventor is looking at the wrong default *.ipt and/or *.iam TEMPLATE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 18 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

You got it, JD. I had a 2014 format template in my default templates location. I changed the extension to test your theory and I'm back to normal. The funny thing is that file has been in there since one of the beta releases and I just started having problems when I started this thread.
Thank you!
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report