Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 1 of 18 (191 Views)
Accepted Solution

Trouble with stp file

191 Views, 17 Replies
02-06-2014 06:21 AM

I'm having trouble opening this step file in Inventor 2013. I get the below error message which is what you usually see when you try to open an Inventor file that was saved in a newer version, but why would I see it with a step file? If I try more than once Inventor crashes. I tried opening it in 2014 and it opens fine; I then tried saving it back to a new step file from 2014 and still encountered the same error in 2013. Has anybody else encountered this problem before or open the file in 2013?

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Distinguished Contributor
m.teleguz1
Message 2 of 18 (190 Views)

Re: Trouble with stp file

02-06-2014 06:24 AM in reply to: mrattray

sometimes i get that error too, this code fixes it for me weird. 

My_extension_1 = InputBox("Enter Extension", "Type in the Extension you Want", "Fill in Extension ex: .stl .jpg .pdf")

'My_extension_2 = ".pdf"

ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(ThisDoc.ChangeExtension(My_extension_1), True)

'UPDATE: Using the line Of iLogic code above will save the files in the same folder As the 2D drawing. If you want To save it In a different folder you can predifine the location Using the following:

'choose the place to save at? Possibly ask to save?
'strFolder = "D:\files\" & ThisDoc.FileName(False) 'without extension

'ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(strFolder & (".jpg") , True)
'ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(strFolder & (".pdf") , True)

MessageBox.Show("All file formats saved", "File Save")

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................
Privacy warning: Since I live in a country that has traded liberty for the illusion of security, all of your posts to me are being monitored and saved by the United States Government.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 3 of 18 (184 Views)

02-06-2014 06:35 AM in reply to: m.teleguz1
That doesn't do anything for me.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

m.teleguz1
Message 4 of 18 (180 Views)

02-06-2014 06:47 AM in reply to: mrattray

does this open up for you? 

i saved this in 2014

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Privacy warning: Since I live in a country that has traded liberty for the illusion of security, all of your posts to me are being monitored and saved by the United States Government.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 5 of 18 (170 Views)

02-06-2014 07:00 AM in reply to: m.teleguz1
No that doesn't work. I tried it myself earlier, too.
I've also found that:
1) It appears that all of the designers at my company are affected as of yesterday.
2) We can't open any neutral format files in 2013 including files that we successfully imported previously.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

m.teleguz1
Message 6 of 18 (162 Views)

02-06-2014 07:21 AM in reply to: mrattray

Try this

Go and open new .ipt 

go to manage tab, import and find your file and import it. 

might need to export as iges or something else untill issue is resolved.

try this.JPG

Distinguished Mentor
Message 7 of 18 (161 Views)

02-06-2014 07:23 AM in reply to: mrattray

Rhino opened it fine. Here's the 3dm, it opens in 2014 mostly solids and 1 surface that looks like it will be simple to fix.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 8 of 18 (155 Views)

02-06-2014 07:43 AM in reply to: rdyson
The .3dm doesn't open for me in 2013, either (no error message, just a crash). Interestingly, I tried teleguz's suggestion not expecting anything different and I found that:
With a .stp I get a different message: "File Translator Operation is not yet Supported"
With a .sat it works. How odd is that?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

m.teleguz1
Message 9 of 18 (149 Views)

02-06-2014 07:56 AM in reply to: mrattray

I worked for a company one time that had issues exporting .dxf one time. I fixed that by reregestering the files. Ill attach something here soon.

Correct me if im wrong, you guys just recently switched to 2014? I know we had issues similar to this exspecially with Vault :/ 

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 10 of 18 (143 Views)

02-06-2014 07:59 AM in reply to: m.teleguz1
We have not yet switched to 2014, we're still on 2013. I have a copy of 2014 installed on my machine to "play with".
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube