Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with cutting a Cylinder at a 45 degree angle

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1366 Views, 10 Replies

Trouble with cutting a Cylinder at a 45 degree angle

Hi everyone,

I am using inventor for the first time and I need a little bit of help. I am trying to make a toilet paper roller; standard white ones with the spring inside (http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15449.M5690_4.jpg) .

I need to cut the bottom of the cylinder at a 45 degree angle from the center to wall so if the roller was standing, it would be at an angle of 45 degrees to.

I have attatched what I have so far.

I am having trouble with the slicing. I am not sure how to chop the whole cylnder at an angle. 

Also how do I remove the yellow lines and the white line with the measurement .1280 (you'll understand when you open the file)

Thanks, I really appreciate any help.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CCarreiras
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

The yellow lines is just because you have sketches that are not used (by now) for any 3D operation... so they are there waiting for you to use them.

You have a lot of sketches with no use... delete them (or, turn visibility off) (RMB + Visibility)

Where/ how, do you wanna cut the part (it's better give more information: images, drawings, etc  because we don't guess your thoughts)

download the example part and take a look

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108503790/tube_cut.ipt

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: CCarreiras

I don't know how to delete the sketches. i'm using inventor 2014.

Also, I want to cut off at the the plane I have made. So one side of the plane has a small chunk of the roller and i'd like to know how I can slice it.

Once you have seen the picture attached you will understand what I am trying to convey. 

I have a couple more questions. If I hw

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
CCarreiras

Hi!

Everytime you use the sketch, the sketch will be hidden (consumed is the correct word) inside the 3D feature (extrude, revolve, etc)

If you need to edit the sketch you have to go in the rigth side browser and RMB "edit sketch".

The operations are in order of creation.

If you see a sketch in the browser, it isn't used by any operation already and much probably, it is not necessary... you can delete it

download my file and check it.

Now i will be out for a couple of hours, but then i can help you more.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

you my friend (if i may ahah) are magical. When you're free could you explain to me how you did this trickery?

Man Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
CCarreiras

sure, ill be back in a couple of hours.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
CCarreiras

Hi!

What you need to know?

have you understand all the steps of the file i gave you?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I'm not sure how you built the object. you didn't use a circle and what feature's you used.  Could write out steps? 

It's unclear to me from the your file.

Message 9 of 11
CCarreiras

Sorry, you have to way for tomorrow, it 3:half... i have to get some sleep. I will make a video for you, ok? see u tomorrow... bye
CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

I looked at your file again and understood it much better this time. I am now assembling them and wondering how can I constraint a spring into the tube? and would I have the make them 1 component so I can constraint it to the other tube? 

I attatched what I have so far. I need to constrain the spring inside the tube which is not cut at 45 deree angle. I constrained the 2 tubes together. Also the tube that is not cut off at 45 degress needs to be connected to the wing where it is, I can't seem to get it to join at the same planes, it seems to change so paper goes through the tube perpendicularly. 

If you can explain to me how to accomplish the afformentioned it would be great.

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
CCarreiras

Hi

The "iam" file only has the information as the parts are conected, doesnt have the parts within. You have to send me also the parts. Make a zip with all files and post it, ok?

(If is too big, you can email me)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report