Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Extrusions to STL

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
peter_ras
834 Views, 14 Replies

Trouble with Extrusions to STL

We are using Inventor 14 to export large systems with conveyors and other equipment at STLs. The STLs are then uploaded into software to convert them into WebGL-based format to explore our designs in a web browser.

The major problem is that extrusions are not exported as a separate STL, but with the part file that they are associated with, and do not auto-color in the software. For example, our conveyor belts are extrusions, butremain the color of the conveyor body. We need to have “one-STL-per-color.” 

Is there any way to automate changing extrusions to individual parts before exporting? Our engineering team has estimated that it could take 40 hours to do this manually.   

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: peter_ras

peter_ras wrote:

Is there any way to automate changing extrusions to individual parts before exporting? ...

Each part should be created as an individual solid body or part when created - just like the real world.
I'm not sure I understand the problem - are parts being created joined together as one monolithic part?  If so, that is not the correct way to use a program like Inventor.

Can you attach a sample file here that exhibits the problem?  (make one up if the design is proprietary)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
peter_ras
in reply to: JDMather

I have attached a before file and example of STL that we get after exporting. The conveyor belt cannot be recognized and colored. 

Message 4 of 15
JDMather

First thing I notice is that there are only 2 solid bodies in the file, while I would expect many more than that based on logic and experience.

The second part of your question I am not sure I understand.

The colors of the parts can be exported as part of the stl file (see Options), are you trying to change the color after-the-fact, in the stl file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
mcgyvr

Can you use stp (step) instead of STL.. (or iges)..

The STL format is for exporting to stereolithography machines or 3d printers ONLY.. 

And what program are you using to import these STL files? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 15
peter_ras

These are sales engineering files, built for speed. We have much more complex designs as well. Regarding the extrusions, is there any way to automate them becoming their own solid part?
Message 7 of 15
peter_ras
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

And what program are you using to import these STL files? 

The program is custom but based on http://threejs.org/ 

.STL work best to make these web-ready. 

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

@peter_ras wrote:
..., is there any way to automate them becoming their own solid part?

This is basic operator training - the person doing the design work should be selecting New Solid when, well, creating a new solid.  (some things like your motor/gearbox might be done as a monolithic solid rather than individual parts)  Then use the Manage>Create Components to push out the assembly.  I would save the stl from the assembly.

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
mcgyvr

not sure if its an inventor limitation or what but it doesn't seem that you can take a multisolid part, export to stl and have a stl file with multiple meshes.. 

Seems to lump it into one single mesh and thats it..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 10 of 15
peter_ras

Yes it sounds like the task would have to be very labor intensive, going back to erase extrusions and creating new solids. Bummer. This is what I was hoping to avoid. 

Message 11 of 15
JDMather

I wonder what options the destination software has for handling stl assembly files.

We routinely 3D print stl assemblies from Inventor with moving parts. (they are not fused together)

Opening the same stl file in Inventor is only one mesh though.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
peter_ras

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder what options the destination software has for handling stl assembly files.

Do you have a link to software? I will explore. Thanks for help. 

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

@peter_ras wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have a link to software? I will explore. Thanks for help. 

I thought you knew what software you are using?  I was wondering what options the software YOU use has for handling stl files.

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
mcgyvr

I'm with JD here.. If the STL file format allows other programs to view the separate solids as separate meshes or at least be able to select them then your custom software is the problem here.. 

Message 15 of 15
peter_ras

We are exporting 1 mesh per part. The custom software needs to crunch our polygons due to the size and detail of our models (to get into a web-based format)

The problem is that if we want to do any decimation and preserve color data we need everything to be parts. If they aren’t parts, we can’t get color data from them after decimation. It won’t preserve color data from non-parts.

Thank you both for the help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums