Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble understanding how rules work with parameters

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nstalker
443 Views, 3 Replies

Trouble understanding how rules work with parameters

OK so I got my first working iAssembly.  I'm very happy about this.  It's a roller conveyor and I used parameters and iParts to create different assemblies.  I have different widths, lengths and height for my roller conveyors.

I got to thinking that I could use rules to simplify things.  For example, I would like to create a rule that selects the number of rollers based on the length of the conveyor.  I thought the easiest way to do this would be to look at the part number for the rails to determine the length and then set the number of rollers accordingly.

So - my rail is an iPart shown below as either 36in LG conveyor:1 or 120in LG conveyor:1.  I first noticed that I could successfully change the number of rollers with the first two lines of code (and an endif).  That was cool.  So I thought, how about an ElseIf?  So I added the next 2 lines of code.  The problem is that if I swap out the 36in for the 120in, Inventor doesn't see the 36in piece so it errors out (see error below the code).  What should I do in this situation?

If Component.IsActive("36in LG conveyor:1") = True Then

Parameter("no_of_rollers") = 12 ul

ElseIf Component.IsActive("120in LG conveyor:1") = True Then

Parameter("no_of_rollers") = 36 ul

End If

Error in rule: No_of_Rollers, in document: conveyor bed.iam

Component: The component named "36in LG conveyor:1" was not found.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JanVarholik
in reply to: nstalker

Would it be possible to provide the dataset as well?

Thanks,

Jan

Message 3 of 4
nstalker
in reply to: JanVarholik

no I can't do that unfortunately

Message 4 of 4
MjDeck
in reply to: nstalker

Are you using an iLogic rule to select different iPart configurations (different conveyor lengths)?  Or are you selecting different lengths manually?

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report