Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble saving inventor dwg files down to previous version

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
twinz3950
2655 Views, 12 Replies

Trouble saving inventor dwg files down to previous version

My company just started using inventor and we currently are saving our drawings as dwg and saving down to previous versions so that other drafters can still use the older version of AutoCAD to open the DWG files.  However yesterday we had a storm that knocked out the power to the office, when the power was restored and we continued our work the files that we create now cannot be opened by AutoCAD or any other software that we use. We keep getting error message that file was created using incompatible version.  I checked to ensure that the settings in inventor was still set to save as dwg by default as well save down to 2010.  After several hours of searching for a solution I am still baffled at what happen and how to fix it.  Has any one experienced this or know how to solve this problem?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: twinz3950

Have you tried a Repair Install?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
twinz3950

I am not fimiliar with a repair install, can you give me more information on this subject?

Message 4 of 13
yannick3

Hi
I think you can try to uninstall and install your dwg trueview before repair inventor.
What's your native inventor drawing, idw or dwg?
I think i you serch a little bit you will find a macro or ilogic rule on the web who automate the export after the each drawing save

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 5 of 13
twinz3950

I don't want to export the dwg.  I want to have just one file that everyone can use.  One problem is that we have some CAM machines such as laser cutters and plasma cutters that need to import the dwg files. Up  till the power failure at our office every ting worked fine, and now any thing that we draw in inventor and try to use or open we get error  created in compatible version.  This same message even occurs if we try to open the dwg in AutoCad. 

Message 6 of 13
rdyson

1. My company just started using inventor and we currently are saving our drawings as dwg and saving down to previous versions

2. I don't want to export the dwg.

Your message description leaves a bit to be desired as the above are completely contradictory. But, maybe this is what you're looking for.

Capture.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 13
twinz3950
in reply to: rdyson

Yes the screen shot that is posted is what I am trying to do.  What I am saying is that before the power failure at my office the setting that you show is how we were saving our drawings, and everything was working all program that we use could open the files no problem. Now after the power failure  even with those same settings any drawings  that we create with inventor  and try to open with AutoCAD an error message appears that states the file can not be open because it was created with an incompatible version. 

Message 8 of 13
karthur1

Like JD mentioned.....Repair Install.  Close Inventor first.

WIndows Start > Programs and Features.  Find Inventor in the list, right click and choose Uninstall/Change. Now select the Repair or Reinstall in the center bottom, then Repair radio button.

Message 9 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: karthur1

...turn anti-virus and UAC off during the Repair Install.

If that doesn't work - post back information on Autodesk Clean Uninstall Instructions before attempting a complete uninstall/reinstall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 13
twinz3950

I have not done a repair install but if I take an IDW and save it as a DWG  the files open just fine with the other versions of CAD and software we use; However I am still baffled by the fact that If I use the DWG template  and save as a DWG that the files do not open with the other versions of CAD.  

Message 11 of 13
bob_holland

twinz3950

Is this localized to one user, computer or project?

It sounds like part of you environment has been corrupted by the power outage.

We are all just trying to assist in figuring out what needs to be repaired with the least amount of impact for you.

How did the repair/reinstall go?

Thank you.

Bob Holland

Autodesk Product Support

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 12 of 13
blair
in reply to: bob_holland

You are using the following within Inventor:

I>Export>Export to DWG then select the version from the drop-down dialogue.

Untitled.jpg

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 13
twinz3950

Ok thanks every one for the help in getting this resolved Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report