Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble getting files to print to scale on my 3d printer

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
BergmanIII
10344 Views, 7 Replies

Trouble getting files to print to scale on my 3d printer

I have a Makerbot Replicator 3d printer for my class. I am having issues when I save my drawing as an stl file bring it up in the Makerware software it decreases the size and I can't get things to scale. I have been in contact with Makerbot for several months and their response is now: "We actually may have had a bit of a breakthrough! Apparently there's something off about the way that Inventor exports files to .stl, and there may be a bug in our software when scaling. Whenever exporting to .stl, especially in metric apparently, Inventor makes the object 10% of the size. To correct for this, can you try scaling your model by 1000%, then exporting to .stl and bringing it into MakerWare? Send me a copy of the .stl either way, and let me know how it goes!" and "The issue is not something we can fix because it's not an issue in MakerWare. As I suggested, contact Autodesk support and maybe they can help you out!"

Any help?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: BergmanIII

Attach your ipt file here.

Attach your stl file here.

When Save As *.stl click Options and set the correct Units (Inventor defaults to Centimeters).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
BergmanIII

That took care of my problem! Thanks
Message 4 of 8
luiww

I once did make the mistake of the stl format by selecting cm instead of mm.  The default is in cm.

Message 5 of 8
julianpatino
in reply to: JDMather

Hi there! I came upon this is a google search, cause I am experiencing the same problem, but in AutoCAD 2015. I cant seem to find the option when I go to 3DP or export to .stl file to export in inches, not CM. When I open the .stl file in my makerbot software, its scaled as preveously posted in this forum. Is there a different way to export 1:1 in AutoCAD?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: julianpatino

In AutoCAD type -dwgunits (with the leading - sign) and follow the command line prompts.

Make sure your document units are the intended units.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
tecnicalk

In Max 2015 how do you do this?

Message 8 of 8
julianpatino

Thanks for your response JDmather!

I used the instructed command -dwgunits and followed the prompt. After I did that, i typed 3dp to sent to .stl file, and I'm still experiencing the same thing. Ill attach my dwg file. Any other advise? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report