Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble creating run-off surface to make a plastic mold

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
markgoudswaard
886 Views, 5 Replies

Trouble creating run-off surface to make a plastic mold

Hello,

I'm trying to design a mold for a shampoo cap that has a flip cap and a a bow-tie style hinge.  Individually I can successfully make the mold with run off surfaces for the flip cap, and for the cap body individually without issue, but I am un-able to do this for the whole assembly.

For the whole assembly, inventor is un-able to correctly identify the run-off surfaces, and I so far haven't been able to choose them for myself.

Is any-one able to suggest a way to resolve this?  Whether it be a clever way to choose the run off surface or if I have to use another method to successfully make the mold for this part?

I have attached the model that I am trying to create the mold for.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JavaLodge
in reply to: markgoudswaard

I'm afraid I can't make any comments on how to solve your problem, but it looks like you're missing some files. I opened the Complete Cap.ipt and there were two missing files, cap body and shampoo cap. The assembly file is only a list of references to other parts and how they are put together, so you'll need to upload each part in the assembly for us to be able to see it.
in reply to: JavaLodge

Hello, thanks for the response!

Have now attached the required files; the assembly with the two individual parts.  

Please let me know if the model still can't be viewed, and if not how I should upload the parts.. 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Message 4 of 6
WHolzwarth

I came so far. I think, two inserts are needed beneath the hinge.

But though I got continuous runoff surfaces, no core-cavity separation can be done. See numerous error messages.

EOP needs to be pulled down with Complete Cap.ipt and Mold Complete cap_Complete Cap_MP.ipt

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
markgoudswaard
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thanks very much Walter, 

How would I go about putting in the inserts?  And at what point in the mould design do I put them in?  Before creating the core and cavity or after part of the mold is already complete?

And with these inserts, would I need to make them manually, or is there a function to generate them automatically?

I've tried using the insert feature when creating the core and cavity but so far haven't had any success..

Thanks again, 

Mark

Message 6 of 6
WHolzwarth

Good evening, Mark

I'm no Mold expert, but I'm interested in not too trivial tasks. It's a pity, that only in discussion forums there's a need for them 😉

Inserts: I can think of 2 parts moving symmetrically in Y direction for the area beneath the hinge. I'd apply them after the Core-Cavity separation. But I couldn't get so far, with my files.

Automatic inserts here? I think, no. User input is probably needed.

Perhaps an Adesk member could comment here better.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report