Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble With Creating In-Place Parts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jstech
157 Views, 4 Replies

Trouble With Creating In-Place Parts

Hello to all. I am new to the Forums and enjoy reading many previous posts and find them very informative.

I am stuck with a problem. I modeled a 60" x 72" x 60" high tank. I am trying create all the side plate parts from within the assembly. The procedure I am using is:
1. Start Std Assembly and place solid tank in the assembly (grounded).
2. Create Component (N), where I give the part a name and check constrain sketch plane box.
3. Select a face, next "Project Goemetry" and select same face again, return and extrude to 0.25 in. I do the same procedure for all faces.

Now the problem, If I go back to my solid model and change the width of the tank from 72" to 60" not all the plates are changing shape. All parts in the assembly show as adaptive, all part sketches are shown as fully constrained but do not turn blue (in my case, they turn blue will if I redraw the lines) and all sketches of the original solid are fully constrained (blue).

I attached a few pic's but if need I will try to upload parts and assembly file. I thought that if all the parts were adaptive that any changes I made to the original "tank" would be reflected in all the parts and drawings.

Any suggestions on what I am be doing wrong??.

Jim
Inventor 2014, Windows 7 Ultimate, i7 3.4 GHz, 16 Gig RAM, Quadro 2000 Graphics Card
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jstech
in reply to: jstech

Sorry... the file.

Also, IV 2009 Suite, SP1 Edited by: jstech on Jan 11, 2009 4:35 PM
Inventor 2014, Windows 7 Ultimate, i7 3.4 GHz, 16 Gig RAM, Quadro 2000 Graphics Card
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Search on Skeletal or Master modeling.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 4 of 5
jstech

I finally got it. Everything worked fine after I turned off "Autoproject Part Origin On Sketch Creation".

Jim
Message 5 of 5
Mark_Wigan

hi Jim, i thought it should have worked the way you mentioned.

adaptivity like that is fine when you are in design mode, and setting up clearances and sizing things, however after you have designed your project i would turn off your adaptivity. it will cause headaches down the track.

as Dennis suggested, search those other topics. they are powerful and more robust if you get good at them.

-Mark.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report