Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimming 2 lines to a corner

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cityjack
772 Views, 10 Replies

Trimming 2 lines to a corner

Can someone please tell me how to trim 2 lines to an intersection or corner in sketcher please.  Inventor suite 2009.  Why I have to ask this question kills me.  I know, I know, its probably in the l;atest version of Inventor which my company says they will roll out any day now.  Been hearing this for months.  Pro/E for 17 years and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to trim 2 lines.  Please help before I go postal

Sid

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
john.laidler
in reply to: cityjack

Select 'trim', then the lines to trim.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 11
JDMather

Can you post the file - I can't figure out why it should be any different than Pro/E.
You might simply add a coincident constraint to the endpoints to bring them together, but I'm really curious what you have that trim isn't working.

As a new user you might read this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 11
dan_inv09
in reply to: JDMather

It's worse with extending. Occasionally it can guess at the other line that you will eventually be extending as well, but not often enough.

Coincident constraints are okay sometimes, but what if the end of the line is already coincident with something else? I have to draw another line and trim/extend both lines to that one then delete it, then I can make the endpoints coincident.

Message 5 of 11
PaulMunford
in reply to: dan_inv09

I put together this quick tip on usig Trim with CTRL to define boundaries that you might find useful.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 11
john.laidler
in reply to: dan_inv09

Not sure why you think you need to draw lines to trim...  no boundaries are needed.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 7 of 11
msklein

Not wanting to seem sarcastic, but there are these things called training and help files or if the company is too cheap to spend money on training so that they can get a decent "ROI" may be even a training book. This is a basics problem, this group is not here to replace the basic training.

msk

Message 8 of 11
dan_inv09
in reply to: john.laidler

edit: where'd the text go?

You've got the top you need the bottom. What do you do?

Message 9 of 11
cityjack
in reply to: msklein

Thank you all for your help.  Especially the attached tips.  As for the company being cheap, that goes without saying.  I have a hard time asking for cash for a book much less training.  But for someone who has been doing advanced solid modelling for almost 20 years, I find it ridiculus that I have to consult a forum to do somethign as simple as trimming in sketch mode.  And by the way, I did look at help, which is just as much a joke as the trim command.  I really didn't see any rules about what was an allowed question and what was not.  Plus I am a Silver subscribed maintenance member and to get help through Autodesk is like pulling teeth.  I have to place an email, then my problem is evaluated on severity and then placed into a que where I will receive a call within 3-5 days.  Maybe never.

Thanks again all.

Sid

Message 10 of 11
msklein

"Pus I am a Silver subscribed maintenance member and to get help through Autodesk is like pulling teeth."

not sure what this is, as we have a service contract with our VAR, phone and e-mail, for most problems, works great most of the time. I have always considered books my cost not the companies just as drawing templates and pencils were, back on the drawing board days. We have to take some responseablity for our ability to do our work and stay minablity up to date. Training is time off of work along with the high cost , so that should be the companies. Lack of training, is a big cost to the company in time (time is money), but get IT to understand this since they normaly control this money is a lost cause most places.

msk

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

@cityjack wrote:

But for someone who has been doing advanced solid modelling for almost 20 years, I find it ridiculus that I have to consult a forum to do somethign as simple as trimming in sketch mode. 

Everyone that I run into with significant experience in one CAD program gets frustrated moving to another CAD program.  When you hit a hurdle don't let it trip you up - ask questions here.  I use Pro/E, Inventor and SolidWorks.
There is an easy way.

But you still haven't posted a sample file here, so I suspect your problem must surely be something unexpected as I can't figure out why it should be difficult to do a trim.

Attach  your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report