Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim the envelope of an imported object

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
E19B
270 Views, 6 Replies

Trim the envelope of an imported object

I recieved several .stp files from a vendor and most of them imported without incident.  One part is giving me a major headache though.  The envelope of the solid body is much larger than the actual part.  This is causing the origin to be skewed by several orders of magnitude.  Any way to trim down the envelope to the part size?

End Cap Solid Body.JPG

Using IV2011 Pro.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jletcher
in reply to: E19B

CAn you attach part. But I am geared to say no But I do know a few tricks I would like to try...

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Copy to the Construction Environment, unstitch, quality check, repair anything that needs repairing, stitch, quality check, promote back to Modeling Environment.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
rdyson
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Do you normally delete the original after copy to CE?

I've not seen you mention it, but haven't really been paying a lot of attention.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: rdyson

I normally pull the EOP above the original.
If there is no reason to keep it (the usual practice) I will then Delete all below EOP.

For really complex curvy stuff using stitch can actually change the part as it pulls surfaces together to close gaps.

It is sometimes important to compare the "fixed" part to the original import and it might be important to keep the original in the file (below the EOP) for documentation purposes.  Especially if you are working for an external customer where if anything goes wrong there needs to be a trail to follow. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
E19B
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD, that's very useful info for fixing neutral files.  I definitely learned something today 🙂

In this particular case there is no problem with the geometry of the import.  The features all come in cleanly, the issue is with the extraneous boundary.  The best I've been able to come up with so far was to export an ACIS file to AutoCAD and STEPOUT a new file.  That reduced the envelope size quite a bit but it was still much larger than the part.  I have been back and forth with the vendor and tried different models but without any luck.  Any other ideas?

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

@E19B wrote:

In this particular case there is no problem with the geometry of the import.  The features all come in cleanly, the issue is with the extraneous boundary. ...

These are contradictory statements.

Did you follow my instructions.  Or did you just assume that it is OK?

If editing in the construction environment did not fix it then go back to CE and untrim (Extract Loop) the surfaces and find the problem.

Attach the original stp file here.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report