Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from Single User/Desktop Content to Two User/Vault, Questions

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
626 Views, 7 Replies

Transition from Single User/Desktop Content to Two User/Vault, Questions

Inventor/Vault 2011

After getting Vault installed on our server and successfully setting up users and connections, I used the Library Transfer Guide to move our Content Center (including custom) to the Vault. I then changed the Inventor Application Options -> Content Center -> Access Options to Autodesk Vault Server.

This seems to have worked, as I can Place from Content Center when in an assembly, and it is pulling standard content as well as our custom files properly from the vault.  However, in the instructions that I used for the installlation, it was suggested to stick with a standard folder structure within the Vault, namely two Library Folders named 'Content Center Files' and 'Libraries' and also a regular folder named 'Designs'.

I created those folders prior to transferring the library, as I thought they would be populated with the standard/custom content. This was not the case and I am curious when these folders come into play? *they are empty*

Also, today I will be attempting to 'Check In' a project to the Vault that I recently completed; does this usually maintain structural relationships between files?

Would you recommend using a single project structure in vault for two people? It seems, since we won't be working on the same project at the same time, having a single project would not be relavant to our situation... I think.. thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RobJV
in reply to: Anonymous

Single project method - yes.

Content centre will just be the place that content centre files get vaulted once they are placed in assemblies.  This will be a designated library folder.

Your other "library" folder will contain your non-content centre library parts.  I would highly recommend you do NOT designate it as a library folder in vault.  It will create a lot of headaches when you need to make any changes.

Rob

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: RobJV

Ok, to confirm what you are saying, I should delete the library folder, 'Libraries', and create a normal folder with that name?

What would you consider "non-content center library parts"? I would say 30% of parts that I have created are purchased parts, 20% cut-to-length structural steel and 50% cut/formed steel... So far I have been publishing all of them to the desktop content center in my own read/write library. This has made it easy thus far to organize and reuse parts.

Can anyone give an example of what type of parts go in which part of the vault?

Message 4 of 8
RobJV

Yes to creating a "library" folder that is not designated as such in vault. 

Parts that you use over and over that do not come from content center would be placed in your library.

Typically, if your folder structure that you are using now on your HD or network works well for you, it can look the same in Vault.  Your content center folder may need to be placed at a different level though.  I have set up multiple Vaults in the past and some of the rules may have changed like at what level your CC can be at.  My present CC is one level above everything else while all my "libraries" are within my main Inventor Designs folder.

It is probably best to contact your VAR to get everything set up correctly.

Rob

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Your library parts should be any part you use on a constant basis so it does not need to be reproduced all the time. You may make as many sub-directories in this folder as you please. As you can see we have our own parts we made, and parts we use that are premade (Buy out Items). in our Standard parts we have it further divided into all the standards we use. organize it in the way you are used to working, there is no need to do anything special. Make it user friendly, not a chore to find what is needed.

Library 1.PNG

Library 2.PNG

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: RobJV

Ok, I changed the folder.

Could you further describe what you mean by Content Center level? As I understand, it should be located directly under the root of my Vault.

Contacting the VAR is a possibility if I can't get this set up myself.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you for answering my question directly and providing visual aids. The structure makes much more sense to me now and I'm thinking I will follow your example pretty closely.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

CC.PNG

Short answer, yes, it should be under your root vault directory. The desiugn folder you see is our project folder, in Which we keep all our projects. A single project workflow is always best, as it allows re-using old projects in newer ones without having to copy then to another project folder, or set up project paths to each one. Although you can set up inventor to recognize more than one path for file sharing.

Designs.PNG

This is the same structure on my C drive except our project path includes WCI Workspace as the main project folder. If you move your library into your project path, open something in it and check it in, it will automatically create your library folder in vault in the correct place. I believe the vault has an add file feature, but someone elese might be able to give you a better way to add your library. the CC folder will be automatically placed on your hard drive in the correct place when you begin using CC parts from the vault.

Cdrive.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report