Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threaded holes option is unselectable

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
cfn101788
7097 Views, 24 Replies

Threaded holes option is unselectable

I have a part I am trying add a threaded hole to. The option for threaded holes is unselectable. I tried editing the registry as past posts have said, but the "parts" folder doesnt show up in the registry. I have been through every folder in the registry and dont see anything that has to do with threaded holes. Not sure what else to do.

Running Inventor Pro 2012 on Windows XP.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
mcgyvr
in reply to: cfn101788

Is Microsoft Excel loaded on your machine and has it been used/started?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 25
cfn101788

Microsoft excel is loaded and has been used. I use it daily. The excel sheet for the threads is in the right place but inventor doesnt seem to be able to load the datasheet.

Message 4 of 25
Dennis_Jeffrey

Let me guess.... you are using Excel 2007.

In Excel, open the Threads.xls, then save it. (Do the same for Clearance.xls.)

Launch Inventor and see if it now works.

This solved the same issue for one of my customers last week.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 25
cfn101788
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Thank you, it worked. All functions now work as they should. I am new to Inventor and glad theres a large community to fall back on for help.

Message 6 of 25
cfn101788

Looks like it only worked once. Worked for the part I was trying to do but now it's back to not working again. I re-saved it and it worked once but now it's doing the same thing it was doing.

Message 7 of 25
udayag

Can you try the instructions in this document?

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/372995/1/TapHole_excel.doc

It was written for an earlier version of Inventor, so you would need to look for the right registry key for your version of Inventor.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 8 of 25
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: udayag

To Add....

The registry version for 2011 is 15, 2012 is 16.

@udayag wrote:

Can you try the instructions in this document?

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/372995/1/TapHole_excel.doc

It was written for an earlier version of Inventor, so you would need to look for the right registry key for your version of Inventor.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 9 of 25
cfn101788

That was the first thing I had tried. I went through the registry but there is no folder named "part". I searched the registry and there is no entry for the thread excel sheets. I have been through every single folder in the registry and can't find anything that has to do with the threads.

Message 10 of 25
udayag

You are right. It has been moved to a new registry location (for Inventor 2011):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion 15.0\System\Preference\Part

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 11 of 25
udayag

Sorry, there was a typo:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion 15.0\System\Preferences\Part

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 12 of 25
cfn101788

I understand this is for Inventor 2011. But I am using Inventor 2012 and in the registry the file named "Part" does not exist. Thus there is no registry key labeled "UseExcelToReadThreadFile" for me to edit. If all the registry files for Inventor 2012 should be the same as Inventor 2011 then I am missing about 10 of them.

Message 13 of 25
udayag

Is it possible that Inventor 2012 was not installed properly?

2012 registry.PNG

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 14 of 25
cfn101788

I may have to reinstall it then. Not sure what happened during the install. I have to wait for the admin to come back from vacation before I can perform an uninstall/reinstall. It seems that the fix is changing the registry value. I will update on teh outcome when I am able to reinstall it. 

Message 15 of 25
udayag

If you are reasonably comfortable editing the registry you could try the following:

1. add (RMB and select New) a key called "Part" under "Preferences"

2. add (New) a DWORD (32 bit) called "UseExcelToReadThreadFile" with a decimal value of 1.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 16 of 25
Dennis_Jeffrey

I have it in the same localtion in XP Pro for 2012 under CURRENT_USER

By chance are you looking in LOCAL_MACHINE instead?

Message 17 of 25
cfn101788

I went through every File in the registry and it wasn't in any of them. Pretty sure Inventor did not download correctly. I added the registry key for the threads option and I am able to use the thread option now. We'll see how far that gets me since I am missing a bunch of other registry files. Ill likely have to do a reinstall to get them all. 

Message 18 of 25
JarFu

If it's the first run of Inventor with current user account, the full registry (HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0) should be finished after closing Inventor. I tried wtih a new standard user account, ...\Preferences\Part key appears after closing Inventor.

Jar Fu
SW Engineer
Inventor QA
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 25

Using the regedit did work for me, however, I could not have Inventor open while I edited the registry. As soon as I closed it, it went back to value of 0. So I closed Inventor, edited value to 1, reopened Inventor... and success. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 20 of 25
adkins.its

This worked for me as well. 

Thanks!

XP-SP3

Inventor 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report