Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread.xls file problem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
161 Views, 3 Replies

Thread.xls file problem

Problem is that I recently reinstalled my IV8+SP1 & realized I no longer have some thread types I had previously added to the Thread.xls. It must have gotten overwritten with the original vanilla file & can't find a backup of my edited one. So now I'm trying to recreate the new threads in my Thread.xls file. I looked at the Thread.xls file & noticed that there are several types of thread workbooks in the Excel file that don't show up at all in the thread type list in IV Tapped Hole dialog. NPT, for example, does not show up. I was just going to copy one to edit but how do you get it to show up? Can anyone explain what might be happening & how to get a new thread workbook to show? Thanks Gary gcross@crossdesign.com
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Gary, In order to get access to NPT threads, you need to have a "Pipe" (as the P in the NPT implies) and apply the "Thread" command. I would also like to advise to restart Inventor after changing data in thread.xls. Just to be sure that your modified data and not the old data is loaded. Bob
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Just to clarify further... There are two kinds of thread families (each sheet or tab in the file corresponds to a thread family): parallel threads and taper threads. You can easily tell them apart. Parallel familes will have "inch" or "mm" in cell A1, and taper families will have "inch-taper" or "mm-taper" in the same cell (non-English locales will have corresponding translated strings). If you try to create a tapped hole you would see only parallel threads, but for thread feature both types are shown. "Bob Van der Donck (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:40f84bf6$1_1@newsprd01... > Gary, > > In order to get access to NPT threads, you need to have a "Pipe" (as the P > in the NPT implies) and apply the "Thread" command. > I would also like to advise to restart Inventor after changing data in > thread.xls. Just to be sure that your modified data and not the old data is > loaded. > > Bob > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

It's a bit worrying that installing SP1 can over-writes a customised Thread.xls file without backing it up :-( Many users will have customised Thread.xls without knowing this. I'm surprised Adesk feel the need to over-write the thread file whilst installing a Service Pack. Has this been documented ? For the time being users will have to make their own back-up, but Adesk should really improve their act. Duncan [Monday morning moan is over] "Udaya Gunasena (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:40f84f4d$1_3@newsprd01... > Just to clarify further... > > There are two kinds of thread families (each sheet or tab in the file > corresponds to a thread family): parallel threads and taper threads. > > You can easily tell them apart. Parallel familes will have "inch" or "mm" in > cell A1, and taper families will have "inch-taper" or "mm-taper" in the same > cell (non-English locales will have corresponding translated strings). If > you try to create a tapped hole you would see only parallel threads, but for > thread feature both types are shown. > > "Bob Van der Donck (Autodesk)" wrote in > message news:40f84bf6$1_1@newsprd01... > > Gary, > > > > In order to get access to NPT threads, you need to have a "Pipe" (as the P > > in the NPT implies) and apply the "Thread" command. > > I would also like to advise to restart Inventor after changing data in > > thread.xls. Just to be sure that your modified data and not the old data > is > > loaded. > > > > Bob > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report