Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread command not working...

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
zacharyp114
10990 Views, 22 Replies

Thread command not working...

Hello. I recently downloaded Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013. I've been trying to thread a few things, but when I click the thread command, the button changes color for a second or two, and then nothing happens. Doesn't pop up or anything. I've tried to make a threaded hole with the hole command, but it won't let me choose that option for some reason. My friend downloaded this recently as well, and his thread command works just fine. The only difference i can think of between his computer and mine, is that his is connected to the internet and mine isn't. I don't think that should have anything to do with it considering that we used the browser download, but I figured I'd mention it just in case there's something I'm missing. I would appreciate some help on this one. Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
blair
in reply to: zacharyp114

Threads are stored in a Excel spread sheet which requires Microsoft Excel to run properly. On a new install, Excel must be run once and the EULA must be accepted.

There is a Windows Registry edit that can be used for OpenOffice. You would need to search this forum for the specific thread and details for the Registry edit.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 23
zacharyp114

What do you mean it "Stores threads" in Excel? You mean all the data of the thread feature on an object is stored there? Also you said "On a new install". Did you mean a new install of Inventor or Excel?

Message 4 of 23
JDMather

The thread data is in an Excel *.xls file.

You should run Excel at least once before install of Inventor.

When installing Inventor you should temporarily have UAC and anti-virus turned off during the installation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
zacharyp114
in reply to: JDMather

Ok. I don't think my computer has Excel. If it does, I've never used it. So if I haven't run it before, but installed Inventor, does that mean i need to uninstall Inventor, install Excel, and then reinstall Inventor? And if I do that, will I lose everything that i saved in Inventor? I'd like to avoid having to reinstall Inventor if possible.

Message 6 of 23
blair

No, Inventor need Excel to lookup the threads in the Excel spread sheet (it does this behind the scenes). If you have Microsoft Excel, you need to open Excel as in my first post and accept the EULA license agreement. If you don't have Excel, you can use OpenOffice, but you will need to search though this user forum for the proper Registry edit to allow Inventor to work with OpenOffice.

If you don't have either, the thread funtion in Inventor will not work.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 23
zacharyp114
in reply to: blair

I don't have either (which is probably why the thread command isn't working right now). But I plan to get Excel. JD Mather mentioned something though about how Excel should be run at least once before installing Inventor. What I'm trying to figure out is if I ruined anything by installing Inventor before running Excel. So if you alreday understand that, you're saying that I can go ahead and install Excel, run it, and everything should be fixed? No need to reinstall Inventor or anything?

Message 8 of 23
JDMather

@zacharyp114 wrote:

... But I plan to get Excel. ...

Install Excel.
Run Excel.

Run Inventor.

Report back on results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 23
zacharyp114
in reply to: JDMather

Ok as Im looking around my computer, i see that i have microsoft works, which has a spread sheet option. Something was mentioned about a registry edit to make Inventor work with Open Office. Can that be done with microsoft works too? If so, how is that done? Otherwise if it can't, I'll just continue looking for an Excel download, but the registry edit I think would be preferred as long as it isn't a really lengthy process.

Message 10 of 23
blair

Have you run the spread sheet portion of Microsoft Works? If so did you accept the EULA to authorize the program. Did you then try the thread function in Inventor after running the spread-sheet portion of Microsoft Works. Did the thread function work, if so good, if not then you can search this user forum for the Registry Edit and try it. If it works, then good, if not your alternative would be to buy Excel and install it on the machine if you wish to use the Thread Function in Inventor.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 23
zacharyp114

I've run the spreadsheet portion of Microsoft Works, but I'm not sure what you mean by "accepting the EULA". Which program would i accept this in (Works or Inventor)? Is it something that should pop up right away when I open the program? Sorry about all the questions. I'm pretty new to this, so I don't quite understand all these things.

Message 12 of 23
blair

Yes in Works. Microsoft products have a "End User License Agreement" that must be acknowledged accepting the terms of the software.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 23
zacharyp114

Ok I think I know what you mean now. You're talking about when I install it? If so, I'm assuming that it already has been accepted, because I didn't install Works. I got my computer used, and it was already on there. If I'm wrong and that's not when I would accept it, where do I go in Works to accept the EULA?

Message 14 of 23
zacharyp114

I also was trying to find the registry edit post in the forum, but couldn't seem to find it. I'll keep looking around, but if anyone has a link to it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Message 15 of 23
blair

Must have been another thread for a different topic.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 23
zacharyp114

So do you know how to edit the registry then? I got open office, so if i can get it to work with that, that would be great. I really don't want to have to pay for Excel if I can help it.

Message 17 of 23
blair

It must have been a thread for a different topic. You need Microsoft Excel to be able to use the Thread Function along with a couple of other features.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 23
zacharyp114

Well, I don't know how easily you'll believe this, but I think you might be wrong about that, because I just got it to work with Open Office. No registry edit or anything like that. I just ran Inventor and clicked the thread command and it worked. I think since my computer doesn't have Excel, Inventor was just looking for a spreadsheet program that can use .xls files, and found Open Office. That's my theory anyway. So I'm just going to accept this post as the solution. If you don't have Excel, then Open Office should work.

Thanks for your help guys. It was much appreciated. 🙂

Message 19 of 23

7 years autodesk. Think about that internet. 7 years. Imagine developing a program, running into problems, then setting all that aside for 7 seven years. What do they do at autodesk? who writing this **** software. Is it the same person writing the web pages for solutions that should be fixed on firmware end?

Message 20 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: nickc.adams1997

Threads are easy.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report