Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread Modeler Plugin FYI

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
MikahB
10744 Views, 17 Replies

Thread Modeler Plugin FYI

I didn't see this posted here and I've seen quite a few questions in the past about physically modeling threads.  I was about to bite the bullet and re-do my threading iPart to become a smarter iFeature as I once again have need of accurately modeled threads, but found the plugin and installed it.  So far it works well for me though it's not entirely intuitive that you have to select the thread you want modeled in the feature tree - you cannot select it in the graphics window.

Anyway - hope somebody else finds use in it - saved me a bunch of time today!

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/thread_modeler/

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mbystry
in reply to: MikahB

Oh, that is brilliant. That will definately save me some time. Thanks. 🙂

Message 3 of 18
MikahB
in reply to: mbystry

Upon playing with it a little more, I'm not really happy that the two revolutions it generates use sketches without a single dimension or constraint - seems like a not-so-good thing.  But, easy enough to add those constraints and it definitely does save some time!

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 4 of 18
mbystry

Yeah, I noticed that too, however, I'm perfectly satisfied with it. I don't mind added a few dims and contraints when needed. It's still a major time saver. Most of the time I would like to show a "real" thread representation but it doesn't necessarily have to be accurate...say if I'm just making some sales literature or something. Close enough is good enough for that. On the other hand, the case where I need the threads manufatured then I'll probably draw those manually like I always had.

I do like that this thread modelizer does not actually delete the thread feature but suppresses it. That way I can suppress/toggle the real thread and go back to the simple thread for use in assemblies.

Message 5 of 18
PaulMunford
in reply to: mbystry

The thread Modller is designed to be an extersize in showing of the Inventor API, But it is also a handy tool!

I put together this review that you might find interesting:

http://cadsetterout.com/resources/testing-the-autodesk-labs-thread-modeller-for-inventor-plugin/

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 18
MikahB
in reply to: PaulMunford

Yes, Paul - I saw your review when researching the plugin, thank you.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 7 of 18
extremekiwi1

I need to make a 3d print and I found this tool extremely helpful. However, it appears that with both internal and external threads, it cuts inward. It is Because of this you may want to re-adjust your screw to the newly cut size of the threaded hole.

p.s it also appears to not function properly when creating new parts in an assembly

Message 8 of 18
ramojello

Just wondering if any one was having issues with the other thread types, such as the NPT or even the British pipe threads. ANSI seems to work, however I tried to use the plug in for pipe threads and had the following error message appear on the screen "Failed to create coil feature... Try with a bigger Pitch Offset value" What would this mean? is there a way of fixing this problem or am I doing something wrong?
Message 9 of 18
j.lacny
in reply to: ramojello

Same problem here... anyone?
Message 10 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: j.lacny

fairly sure this tool does not output "proper"/"standardized" threads and only something that will look better in renderings vs the default cosmetic threads in Inventor.

For proper threads you simply sketch the proper profile and use the coil command to sweep it through your shaft/hole.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 18
chad38

Same thing.......what am I missing here? I Increaded the pitch offset all the way to 10%, which is the highest it'll let me take it, and it still says to try a higher pitch offset value.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 12 of 18
ramojello

I actually figured out that it works with tapered profiles
For example if you extrude a profile and change the degree of the extrusion (so it appears tapered) then you will have the option in your thread selector as a tapered thread type by default. Please excuse me if there I'm getting all the terms wrong.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 13 of 18
fvp.diseno

i enter the adress but nothing appears, where can i find it?

Message 14 of 18
blair
in reply to: fvp.diseno

Open Inventor, look for the blue "X" in the upper RH corner, selecting this will take you to the "Autodesk Exchange" website. You will then be able to search and locate it there.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 18
lauth
in reply to: blair

Hi People,

I am using Inventor 2012 for some mechanical drawings & would like to have access to the handy thread modeler that I found in the labs:

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2011/05/autodesk-developer-network-threadmodeler-12-for-i...

However, that page has expired.  I did find a modeler at the app store for 2013, 2014, & 2015:

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/List/Search?searchboxstore=INVNTOR&facet=&collection=&...

Does anyone have a copy of the download they could share - or have a link to an archive somewhere?  Many thanks in advance!

Message 16 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: lauth

Why can't you download it?

coolOrange  Oops, I see you are using 2012.  It is easy to properly model threads yourself.

Be sure to check the threadform.  50°?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 18
lauth
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

Thanks for the reply.  The app website specifies that it is compatible with:

• Autodesk Inventor
  • Version: 2015 , 2014 , 2013
  • Autodesk Inventor Professional
  • Version: 2015 , 2014 , 2013

I'm running Inventor Professional 2012 (which is a possible conflict due to a format change).  Will the download from the app store work for 2012 as well?

Message 18 of 18
lauth
in reply to: JDMather

Looks like we have crossed messages...  I just started using Inventor 3 weeks ago and would welcome enlightenment about this subject!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report