Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thickening parts

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ryan.sanderson
797 Views, 5 Replies

Thickening parts

Hi

I've created the following part, its a turbine prop, I've created the blade and have extruded the centre. On thickening the blade surface, due to the angle of the blade there is some parts of the blade which appear to start in mid air(the edges), does any one know how this can be blended in with the hub?  The surface which I created to begin with perfectly fits around the hub, its only when thickened does the edges come away from it. I could thicken in another direction to hide the problem but Id like to know for now and future use how/ if there is a way to fix this issue, I've also tried surface extend but it doesn't like it.

Cheers

Ryan

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: ryan.sanderson

I noticed that you are not constraining sketches -  yet have perfect dimensions if I add the missing dimensions?
How are you doing that? Why? Are you erasing dimensions?

It looks to me like you are doing too much work.

Two simple 2D sketches will create the 3D sketch boundary for a Boundary Patch (or Loft if desired) that can be Lengthened.

Boundary Patch.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

The drawing has been created from many different calcs which were then plotted. I'm not sure the two drawing method would capture all of the angle changes within the blade but it might I will deffo barely check that out!!

I normally delete measurements to make viewing it easier, I don't use it that often so I'm lacking a bit of knowledge in sing it to be honest.

Have you thickened the part you made? And then tried extending it into the hub? That's where I become stuck, it wont let me extend the surface of the loft into the hub or extended a thickened part either.

Cheers

Merry Christmas Ryan

Message 4 of 6

Checked that, the two drawins great! Saved me hours of work, still issue with the gaps on the hub when thickened.
Message 5 of 6

Sorted, many thanks
Message 6 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: ryan.sanderson

You can right click on a sketch and turn off Dimension Visibility when you exit the sketch to clean up the screen.

I checked my simplified model against your complex model and there was only slight difference at the top which could be made  closer by using an arc rather than a line - but it looked to be well within any reasonable manufacturing tolerance so I left it as a line for the boundary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report