Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best way to insert one tube in another tube which has holes

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
oransen
1674 Views, 12 Replies

The best way to insert one tube in another tube which has holes

I'm a programmer, not a mech eng. so bear with me...

If I have a "large" tube with a series of holes along it, say 9mm diameter...

I have another component (an 8.9mm solid cylinder) which should be inserted in those holes...

...how is the best way of doing it?

I thought about adding a work axis in each hole, but can't find an easy way of doing even that!

So how would you do it?

If I make a hole in a rectangular block it all works out, the toroid appears and I constrain the small 8.9mm to the axis of the hole in the block.

That does not seem to work with holes in the large tube.

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Nicolas.Bourquin
in reply to: oransen

Dear Oransen,

depending on the geometry of your 3D models, you don't necessary need to add an extra axis in all the holes.

In order to provide you a good solution corresponding to what you are expecting, that could be very helpful if you could have the possibility to attache directly here the assembly and its components.

Many Thanks

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 3 of 13
JDMather

@oransen wrote:

If I have a "large" tube with a series of holes along it, say 9mm diameter...

In the large tube part click Work Point and then right click and select Axis.

Select the hole cylindrical face and then the tube face.

I would pattern the holes using Rectangular Pattern (even if not rectangular as long as it is in fact some regular pattern) http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf  place and constrain one component in assembly and then use Pattern Component.

What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
oransen
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

Again, I'm not a mech eng. so don't laugh too much when you see the attached files.

I can constrain the small tube to the hole using Mate Constrain.

But I can't constrain the small tube to the hole using Insert Constrain.

Inventor 2013

Message 5 of 13
oransen
in reply to: JDMather

Thank to your tips, I've moved ahead a bit now! How many months before I know 10% of the methods!

Message 6 of 13
oransen

I've realised that maybe my problem is that Insert wants a flat round hole, but a round hole in the side of a cylinder is not flat.

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@oransen wrote:

I've realised that maybe my problem is that Insert wants a flat round hole, but a round hole in the side of a cylinder is not flat.

You are getting it figured out.  Insert requires circular edges.  Circles are planar entities and the edge of the tube cut by a cylinder (hole) is not planar.

You are missing constraints and dimensions for your points in the large tube Sketch - I would use a construction line.

But there is a better way altogether.

Because you will want to use a Component Pattern in the assembly you should use a Rectangular Feature Pattern in the large tube part.

Create one Hole feature and then Rectangular Pattern.

In the small "tube" part you are missing geometry constraints in Sketch1 (horizontal, vertical, perpendicular).

Check lower right corner of screen when editing a sketch.

Once you ge the hang of this - Inventor should be automatically creating your geometry constraints.

Post back if you can't figure out how to do the Component Pattern in the assembly.

You will need Workpoints in each part as shown in attached to constrain - or simply use a Tangent constraint.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
harco

Edit

as JD said 

Message 9 of 13
oransen

Thanks for the info, and the image. I'll try that method.

(I know the parts are missing a ton of constraints, but I was just interested in one point, how to constrain the tubes to the holes.)

Message 10 of 13
oransen

I've got the workpoints solution working, but could you explain the tangent solution a bit more?

Message 11 of 13
JDMather

@oransen wrote:

I've got the workpoints solution working, but could you explain the tangent solution a bit more?

Mate the axis of the hole to the axis of the pin.  (I think you got that.)
Then and a tangent between the planar end face on the step of the pin and the cylindrical face of the tube.

Just like how the real parts would contact if assembled.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

@oransen wrote:

(I know the parts are missing a ton of constraints, but I was just interested in one point, .....)

The point I was trying to make is that Inventor should be doing this work for you - no extra work for you, and in fact, will save you work down the road.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
oransen

@Anonymous wrote:

@oransen wrote:

(I know the parts are missing a ton of constraints, but I was just interested in one point, .....)

The point I was trying to make is that Inventor should be doing this work for you - no extra work for you, and in fact, will save you work down the road.

I don't doubt it, but I'm a slow sort. I'll get there in the end! Thanks for the pointers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report