Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Emboss command severly limited?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
griff701
959 Views, 12 Replies

The Emboss command severly limited?

Hi,

In Solidworks I can emboss a sketch into a 'wavy' surface without difficulty.

03-10-2013 15-53-26.jpg

If I try to do the same thing with Inventors 'Emboss' command It fails with "Only planar, cylindrical or conical faces are supported."

03-10-2013 16-02-10.jpg

Surely there must be a way to acheive the same effect as in the first illustration, in Inventor ? Am I missing something obvious?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CCarreiras
in reply to: griff701

Hi!

Sure you can, disable the "wrap to face" option.

1.png

Note: "wrap to face" will only work with cylindrical or conical surfaces.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 13
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

I have nevered used the "Emboss" , but it seems to me like you could create a surface offset from the wavey surface into the part.  Then creating your sketch on the plane hovering over the part project a cut feature down to that surface and this should accomplish what you are looking for.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
JDMather

A recent discussion on the SolidWorks forum

http://forum.solidworks.com/  (well I went searching for the thread and couldn't find it quickly, but in the last two weeks)

reveals that the SolidWorks tool lacks some very basic functionality too.

But that aside, and since this is the Inventor forum, there are two basic work-arounds.

1. (as suggested) Offset a surface and the Extrude Cut to the surface.

2. Split the Face and Thicken/Offset cut.

You might make some suggestions here (I would really like to be able to wrap to a sphere (in SolidWorks or Inventor).

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
griff701
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you Carlos, thats exactly what I was looking for  - I've spent two days trying to figure that out, and it never occured to me to not check 'wrap to face'.

Thanks again 🙂

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

I thought your design intent was to wrap to face.  Smiley Mad

I guess I should have seen that as SolidWorks is limited to wrapping to cylinders or cones as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
griff701
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks Cadmanto 🙂

The offset plane with the sketch would be as it appears in the second illustration in the original post ?

Cutting down from this sketch doesn't give a uniform depth of cut into the solid. It cuts more into the high points, and less into the low ones - unless I'm missing an option to enable that sort of cut. (Very possible - I'm very new to Inventor)

Message 8 of 13
JDMather

You missed the step suggested of offseting the surface (body) to Extrude to.

Works the same in SolidWorks.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
griff701
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD. 🙂

I wasn't meaning to imply one package was better in any way than another - its just that using SW seemed the easiest way to illustrate what I was trying to do.

Splitting the body and then offsetting a sketch is another idea that never occured to me, but seems like a great suggestion.

Thank you

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

@griff701 wrote:

Splitting the body and then offsetting a sketch is another idea that never occured to me, but seems like a great suggestion.

Not "splitting the body", splitting the face.
Not "offsetting the sketch", Thicken/Offset-Cut the face (I have to check if SolidWorks will do this the same way).

Here is an Example of #1 in SolidWorks (works the same in Inventor).  I will try to find an Example #2 in both programs.

Offset Surface.png

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
griff701
in reply to: JDMather

Got it !

Thats great, thank you very much 🙂

03-10-2013 18-09-15.jpg

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

Here is an example of Splitting a face of the part and then Thicken-Cut that face.

Thicken - Offset.png

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
Cadmanto

It looks like you have figures this out.

What I was talking about (and I used to do this in Solidworks as well) was a plane above the part.  Not going through it.

Then with the offset surface which follows the same curvature as the outside surface wave, would give you your cut depth.  I hope this makes sense.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report