Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Cut Coil (IV2009)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
270 Views, 4 Replies

Tapered Cut Coil (IV2009)

I am having trouble creating a cut coil on a taper. I have a certain pitch that I want created and it will not create it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another workaround? I have posted the file "screw chuck.zip" in customer files. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. The file has been migrated to 2009.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I noticed that your Sketch1 is placed at the origin but not constrained. You might want to read this document -
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

I also noticed that your Ø.5 hole was not constrained and that you used a blind Extruded circle instead of a hole. The flat bottom hole will cost more to manufacture than if you had used the Hole command to create a drilled blind hole.

And finally, Sketch25 was unconstrained which made it difficult to determine your design intent - so I took a guess.

Pull down the red End of Part marker in the browser.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
JDMather

Oops, I made a slight mistake on the thru hole.
Check this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thank-You JD,
This is what I had in mind with the coil. The original model was made up way back to release 4 (when we first started with Inventor) Our method of sketching/constraints at the time certainly left a lot to be desired. I am afraid I cannot come up with an excuse for the flat bottom holes. I should be tarred and feathered for that, I guess. Thanks again for your help and for the PDF document. This is really useful.

Thanks,
Chris
Message 5 of 5
JDMather

A Coil Feature is a sweep. With any sweep feature you have to be sure that the profile does not self-intersect along the path.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report