Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table of Reference Parts

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tmoney2007
664 Views, 9 Replies

Table of Reference Parts

At my company we often include parts that are for reference but would still like to see their part numbers and descriptions. 

I'm about 90% sure that there is no way to do this out of the box with the standard parts list functionality.  Has anyone else figured out how to show these items in the partslist or in a separate table?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: tmoney2007

Well, as far as Creating such a component, yes, you can do that.  I'm assuming you mean things like paint, or grease etc?  These vould be Virtual Components.  In an Assembly, click on Create, and check the box for Virtual Component.  name it, set the location, choose a BOM structure and off you go.  Once it's in your assembly you can assign iproperties to it just like any other part, and they will show up in your BOM.

virt.JPG

Now, for getting them by themselves in a separate table?.... that one I'll have to play with a bit, unless someone else already knows this one.

Was this what you were looking for?

Message 3 of 10
tmoney2007
in reply to: cbenner

Its kind of the opposite of that problem.  We're looking for a table of referenced files that DO appear in the assembly file but SHOULD NOT be on the BOM.

We have things that we include in the model as an assembly aid, so we want the shop people to know the part number, but they aren't ordered on the BOM of that assembly (long lead parts).

We would basically want a table with the part number description and a referenc item number of all of the files referenced by the assembly whose BOM structure is "Phantom" or "Reference".

Message 4 of 10
cbenner

Well, I couldn't have gotten that more backward.  Smiley Embarassed

I don't think this is something you can do with standard functionality.  Possibly something in iLogic might be able to get what you need?  I haven't worked with ilogic, but you could check on the Inventor Customization forum.

The other option would be to export your BOM from the model, using the Model Data tab, and then in Excel, just pull out all of the "Normal" parts.  Then place the remaining parts list back on the drawing as a table.  This would NOT be associative anymore, however.  So changes to the assembly would not be reflected.

Message 5 of 10
swalton

Here is a way to get what you want with a bit of manual work.

Make a dummy assembly that contains all the "reference" components.  Don't constrain the components in this assembly.

Set it as flexable in your parent assembly and constrain all the reference components to the main assembly as required.

Set each "reference" component as normal in the dummy assembly and set the dummy assembly as reference in the top level.

When you make your print, have your normal Parts List pull from the top level assembly.  Place a second Parts List in the print, but have it show the dummy assembly. 

See my attached screenshot.

One problem is that the item number in the refrence assembly Parts List will have to be manually entered because that part list is not aware of the numbers that the parent assembly Parts List has used. 

Of course if your reference components have unique part numbers, you could display that column instead of the item number column. 

Another issue is that the standard parts list ballon will not attach to the reference components in the dummy assembly.   The leader text tool can grab the reference parts and you can display any of the ipt iprops. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 10
blair
in reply to: swalton

You should be able to use the Filter function in the Parts List to include or exclude items based on their BOM Structure. This should allow you to have lists for both.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 10
tmoney2007
in reply to: blair

I don't see any options to filter based on BOM Structure=Reference.  Only the other BOM structure options are there (purchased part, standard part).

I think it just isn't standard practice to show reference parts on a BOM or a table.

Message 8 of 10
blair

Need to be in the IDW enviroment:

Capture1.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:

You should be able to use the Filter function in the Parts List to include or exclude items based on their BOM Structure. This should allow you to have lists for both.

Yes you "should" but there isn't a filter for reference components. (well not in my INV 2012 anyways)

BUT you could use the "Item Number Range" filter..

A "reference" table function is a GREAT idea for those of you that are still stuck in the old ways of doing things 

2d drawings are so pre-2010 Smiley Tongue 

Hopefully the new step AP242 format stays on target for next year and is available in Inventor 2015... Then stuff gets even better. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 10
tmoney2007
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hey Hey,

Don't judge... by January 2, 2014, our BOMs will be coming off of the bill of materials in the model, instead of the parts list on the drawing.

We just still have people that think they need to know the part numbers of reference parts.  The biggest argument for them at the moment is for hardware, but I wonder why we would be modeling hardware and putting it in the assemblies, and then not consuming it as an item on the BOM.

Its a long argument, but yes, the only filtering options available are:

Ballooned Items Only
Item Number Range
Purchased Items
Standard Content

Nothing for Reference Parts or Phantom Parts... Off to the Idea Station

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report