Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbols with attributes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mark.riemenschneider
883 Views, 5 Replies

Symbols with attributes

I would like to create pneumatic diagrams in Inventor using symbols that contain Part number, Manufacturer and Description which I could them have a parts list on the drawing. Is there anyway to add attribute information to a symbol? I use Inventor for machine design and then have to switch to AutoCAD for my pneumatics.
Thanks for any help
Mark
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Mark

Are you talking about Sketch Symbols? If you are, Sketch Symbols are similar to AutoCAD Blocks and you can add editable attributes.

First, start by creating a new IDW, next under the Drawing Resources, RMC on Sketch Symbols>Define New Symbol. Now design your symbol with your sketch tools (line, arc, circle…). Now to create an attribute, you will use the Text command. The Format Text dialog is present and there customize your text (Size, justification, color…). Look for the Type menu and change it to Prompt Entry. The text field area will display , you can change that text to something more descriptive.

Now you can hit the Return command to save and give the symbol a name. Now use your Symbol command on you Drawing Annotation Panel to insert that symbol into your IDW. Just like AutoCAD you will be prompted to add your text to each entry.

C Bashor
Technical Engineer - Advanced Solutions, Inc
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mark.riemenschneider

>Look for the Type menu and change it to Prompt Entry

or use the Model Properties and find the iProps you want to extract. use the Text tool but then add iProps (select the one you want, then press the FX button to insert). Now when you add a symbol, make sure to do it by selecting "Symbols" on the Drawing Annotation Panel, then select your symbol and make sure the Leader box is checked. Then place the symbol like you would a balloon.

or just make a custom balloon with the three iProps.
Message 4 of 6

I would like the information be part of the sketched symbol like the iparts is part of models so I can populate a parts list as I insert symbols into the drawing. Just like when you insert parts into an assembly drawing.

So I want Sketched symbols with data attached that I may extract to create my parts list. I can add the data as prompted entries but it should be hidden and able to be used in a parts list.

Thanks
Mark
Message 5 of 6

Mark,

That feature is not available with sketches and symbols, sorry.
You could create an IAM using virtual parts, assigning iprops to the virtual parts, and import that BOM to your pneumatic IDW. But your sketches and BOM will not be parametric.

Hope this helped
C Bashor – Technical Engineer
Advanced Solutions, Inc
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mark.riemenschneider

Mark-

I have logged your wish to populate properties when instancing Custom
Symbols. You can reference it by ID# 878841.

Regards,

Joe Burkel
Autodesk Inventor QA

wrote in message news:5412161@discussion.autodesk.com...
Mark,

That feature is not available with sketches and symbols, sorry.
You could create an IAM using virtual parts, assigning iprops to the virtual
parts, and import that BOM to your pneumatic IDW. But your sketches and BOM
will not be parametric.

Hope this helped
C Bashor - Technical Engineer
Advanced Solutions, Inc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report