Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between Parallels and boot Camp with Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jpeters
1179 Views, 4 Replies

Switching between Parallels and boot Camp with Inventor

I have recently purchased a MacBook Pro and originally thought that I would be able to switch between boot camp and parrallels to run Inventor.  After reading several threads there seems to be a problem with the Inventor Licience breaking if you switch from on enviroment to the other.

Has anyone tried using the Lic. Transfer Utility when switching between the two.  I know it sounds like a hassel, but shouldn't that work?  I sure that isn't how it Utilily was designed, but since the program thinks that you have changed computers?

I haven't tried this personnelly, but really that Inventor running thru boot camp would be the best enviroment for serious work and I could use parrallels when I need to less intensive design or reveiw?

Does this make sense?

I have loaded parrallels 6 and windows 7 as a virtual machine with boot camp.  I haven't loaded Inventor but plan on doing that today? 

jp

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jpeters
in reply to: jpeters

Ok,  So yesterday I loaded inventor and used the transfer utility to switch computers as it was intended.  This works perfectly and doesn't take any time at all.  Enter user id and password.  I will try switching between parrallels and boot camp later today if I am brave enough.  I want to see how robost inventor is on my Macbook Pro with parrallels.

I like the idea of switching back and forth between boot camp and parrallels, but honestly don't want the hassel if I have to re-install or it crashes.  I am hoping that using the Licience Utiliy will solve the problem since the copy of inventor would be registered when I make the switch.

Since you run the application outside of inventor.  I will post later and let everyone know who it goes?

Message 3 of 5
jpeters

Run into an unecpected issue. I have not problem running Lic Utility from parrallels with Windows 7 as virtual machine.  So I reboot the system and switch to boot camp running the same virtual machine.  The Lic Utility starts but says the clock and date are incorrect even though they are displayed properly.  

When I check system clock all seems to be correct.  The Lic Utlility still will not run?  Not sure why this would happen, but until I solve this problem I guess my solution will not work properly.  It would be great if someone else would try the utility and let me know if it runs properly on their system.

I am pretty sure this would resolve the Lic. problem that others have posted as the idea with the Utiliity is that you have a second system that you would take in the field.

Message 4 of 5
joshpurple

Hi JP, 

Bummer to hear about the Licensing issues, hope you've had some luck resolving it.

I have a very similar issue;

I'm using Parrallels on a Mac Pro (Lion);  My Boot Camp is using Windows 7 64bit, -where I have the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate installed.
When I just run Boot Camp, and then run Windows 7 64bit, using the Autodesk ENCSU, the licensing and activation works great.
When I run Parrallels, and then run Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 64bit, the license error results.  Requiring that I 'Repair' and re-activate my license.
When I run Boot Camp after using Parrallels, the 3ds Max 2013 64bit license still requires 'Repair' and re-activation.

This happens each time I run Parrallels, and run 3ds Max 2013 64bit.

I contacted Parrallels support about this, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I asked Autodesk Support about this, and I received this reply;
-----------------------------------------------------------

For your consideration:

Kindly note that many answers to a wide variety of enquiries can be found on the Autodesk website by typing key words associated with your question or with the issue you are currently facing.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/u/gsearch/results?x=9&y=5&siteID=123112&catID=123155&id=2088334...

Thank you for contacting Autodesk.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'll continue searching for solutions, and if I hear of anything I'll be sure to let you know 🙂

I have also been using VMware, -where the licensing issues have not been a problem

(and the graphics seem to support more than just the OpenGL drivers).

All my best!

Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: joshpurple

Kevin Schnieder from Autodesk runs Inventor on a Mac.

He hangs out over in the Inventor Fusion forum.

You might post your question there as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report