Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep issue with variable pitch

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
RMCDesigner
1074 Views, 5 Replies

Sweep issue with variable pitch

I am having an issue with getting a sweep to work on a 3D sketch. I used the equasion curve to get my variable pitch to work but am having a problem getting the sweep feature to accept it. It say that I have self intersecting surfaces. I have attached the file and would greatly appreciate some help with this! THANKS in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
graemev
in reply to: RMCDesigner

I haven't opened the file, but assuming this is a coil spring sort of problem, the coils can't be in contact with each other.  You need to have a gap, miniscule as it may be.  You could shrink your profile 0.001" or so and see if the problem clears.

Message 3 of 6
RMCDesigner
in reply to: graemev

Here is the part that I am trying to redraw. Mabie I am just going about it all wrong.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Can you attach the file as a jpeg instead (much much smaller file size - I am on a slow connection with limited download.

Something like attached?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
graemev

Ah!  A conveyor's bottle separating screw.  You may need to do the sweep as two cuts, each not self-intersecting.  (Left and right halves of the groove's profile as shown in the photo, if you catch my meaning.)  They can intersect each other, just not themselves.

Message 6 of 6
RMCDesigner
in reply to: graemev

I applaud you kind sir! That is precisely what I needed to do! Thank you!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report