Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep feature does not appear correctly in idw

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
KF090
1046 Views, 16 Replies

Sweep feature does not appear correctly in idw

I twisted a bus bar using the sweep feature.  Worked great.  When I put the part in an idw the twist does not show up correctly.  I attached a screen shot of what I see in the idw.

Any solutions for this?  I've gone through all of the options in the view dialogue box during the initial insertion of the base view and after the view was already created and nothing helped.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: KF090

Hi KF090,

Edit your base view and then go to the Display Options tab and look for the Tangent Edges option. If you turn that on, your view will display correctly. Adjust other views as needed.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 17
KF090
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I've done that and it doesn't solve anything.

Message 4 of 17
timdown73

Could you attach the .ipt file?
-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
Message 5 of 17
KF090

The part file is attached.

Forgot to mention this is in Inventor Pro 2014 on Win 7 64bit.

Message 6 of 17
timdown73

Hmmm.  I'm getting a slightly different result but still no good.  I did notice however that if you turn on the hidden lines the one we need to see do show up.  I'll keep trying on this end as time permits.  If I get a solution I'll be sure to post.  BTW, I'm on the same version.

Capturezz.JPG

-Tim U.
Message 7 of 17
KF090
in reply to: timdown73

Thanks, I appreciate that.

The way it stands right now I may have to print the drawing and then bust out the French Curve. 🙂

Message 8 of 17
-niels-

Setting the profile scaling in sweep2 to x & y instead of just x makes it appear correctly on paper.
Would changing that go against your design intent?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 17
timdown73
in reply to: -niels-

Yep, that works for me too.  I was going down the path of using helical curve instead off a spline.

-Tim U.
Message 10 of 17
KF090

@-niels- wrote:
Setting the profile scaling in sweep2 to x & y instead of just x makes it appear correctly on paper.
Would changing that go against your design intent?

That does cause it to display correctly in idw, thanks.  The only thing I could see being interpreted from that would be that we would be okay with thinning of the bus bar in that location but I don't see that being the case for most fab shops.

But I still believe it shouldn't have to come to that for a part to be displayed as designed.  If I want to use the X scaling then it should display correctly regardless IMO.

Message 11 of 17
KF090

I just noticed that while the top view is now displayed correctly the front and side views are now missing a line.

Message 12 of 17
-niels-

@KF090 wrote:

That does cause it to display correctly in idw, thanks.  The only thing I could see being interpreted from that would be that we would be okay with thinning of the bus bar in that location but I don't see that being the case for most fab shops.

But I still believe it shouldn't have to come to that for a part to be displayed as designed.  If I want to use the X scaling then it should display correctly regardless IMO.

This is why i asked if it would go against your design intent.

Making the change is just a solution to get it on paper, but like you state it doesn't change the fact that using the X scaling should also give a proper result.

You could consider opening a support ticket with Autodesk so they can research the reason why we're seeing the results like they are.

As for missing lines, this is my result after changing to X & Y, i didn't spot anything missing.:

Twisted_bar.png

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 13 of 17
KF090

It's not as big a deal as the top view lines not showing up

Sweep Not Showing02.PNG

Message 14 of 17
mrattray

Have you tried the typical battery of graphics error troubleshooting steps?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 17
KF090
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
Have you tried the typical battery of graphics error troubleshooting steps?

Yes, been through that recently actually.

Message 16 of 17
4donwan4

The suggestion given is all that you can do at this time. I will be logging this to the development so they are aware of the edges not displaying with the X scaling.

Regards,

Don

Message 17 of 17
MartinBernat
in reply to: 4donwan4

Hi,

I tried this also on Inv 2015 and it seems to be an issue on Inventor side. As KF090 stated, this should display correctly regardless of the scale setting.

I've logged a defect, development team will work on a fix.

Thanks for posting the issue here.

Martin Bernat

Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report