Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep along a curve

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
rush02112
2967 Views, 15 Replies

Sweep along a curve

I have looked through these forums and found plenty of sweep problems and the answers to the problems but none for this particular type. I made a 3d intersection curve and am trying to sweep a profile along that curve but I keep getting the discontinuous segments error. I am using standard inventor 2011.
Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: rush02112

Of course it will not be possible to provide a solution to your particular sweep without the file.
Roll up the EOP, Zip and attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
rush02112
in reply to: JDMather

Im fairly positive I attached the IPT file when I posted. I'll upload it when I get back to work tomorrow.
Message 4 of 16
rush02112

Here is the ipt for this problem.

Message 5 of 16
JDMather

Why do you even need Sketch3, RevolutionSrf1, Coil1(surface), 3D Sketch1????

Why not simply do a solid Coil of Sketch5 using the X Axis.

Try it.

Having said that, the method you are using will not result in what I believe you are really after - but probably close enough.

The problem is that your circular profile is not perpendicular to the path which means the result cross-section is elliptical.

In which case you do need a 3D sketch to set perpendicular plane, but don't need the revolved surface to create it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
rush02112

Didn't think to just coil the profile.  I had just learned how to do a rectangular pattern along a coiled line and thought this process would be similiar. 

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 16
JDMather

Assuming you now want three of those twisted together simply do a circular pattern using the Pattern Solid option (not to be confused with the Solid selection tool).

(not sure if 2011 also allowed you to Create New Bodies when doing a circular solid pattern)

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
rush02112

I was able to coil the original profile instead of waiting to do a circular pattern.  I really did not think this would have been so easy to do. 

Message 9 of 16
JDMather

The easy way is almost always the most robust method as well when it comes to making edits, but the question remains, "Why didn't your original Sweep work?"  It looks to me like it should have worked even though it isn't the best method in this case.

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
rush02112

Well if it matters, I was able to make the original sweep work by placing a spline over the 3d curve I had originally.

Message 11 of 16
jakefowler

Hi,

Thanks for posting this issue! Glad to hear you've found a satisfactory alternative workflow. I've taken a look at your original Sweep, and I agree that this should work as it is. As the preview shows, we're able to generate the 3D resultant body, but it looks like a bug in the analysis of the sketch is preventing the operation from being finalised. I've logged this as defect 1400211 in our tracking system to see if this can be fixed for a future release.

If you have any further queries, don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 12 of 16
hiandy22

Hi,

First of all I would like to apologize by using this thread as I think this thread fits to my problem which I face.

My name is Hiandy from Indonesia. I am new member on this forum and not quite familiar the use of this forum. I use Autodesk Inventor 2011 and I learn it by myself and I am on the very beginner level.

I want to make holes (for bolt connections) along the shape created by sweep feature (the file on attachment). I have already tried several ways to do it but always failed. One of ways is to create a hole first then applying rectangular pattern using sweep line as the path. This way did not work.

I would really appreciate if any of you could help me find/share the easiest way to do it.

Look forward to hearing any good news from you.

Thank you.

Regards,
hiandy

Message 13 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: hiandy22

You should have started a new thread.

I did not see a Hole feature in your part?
Why won't Rectangular Pattern work?  I didn't see any Rectangular Pattern in your part?

You might want to read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
hiandy22

Mr. Mather,

Thanks for your reply.

To your advice, I will make a new thread for my matter.

On new thread, I will attach the drawing with the holes and rectangular patter as per your request.

See you there.

Thank you.

Regards,

hiandy

Message 15 of 16
hiandy22

Hi Mr. Mather,

As per your advice, I have already made a new thread under title: "Holes Do Not Go Through-Please Help"

Also, I already attached the drawing with hole and rectangular pattern as per your request.

Please take a look into it and let me have your reply.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

hiandy

Message 16 of 16
iErdogan

@Anonymous wrote:

You should have started a new thread.

I did not see a Hole feature in your part?
Why won't Rectangular Pattern work?  I didn't see any Rectangular Pattern in your part?

You might want to read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Thanks for documents!

.:Erdogan I:.
Autodesk inventor 2018,Windows 10 x64,500 ssd harddisk,Intel core i7 Cpu @3.2 GHz,
16 GB Ram, nVidia Quadro 2000 D Graphics (still) Card
Paylaşmak Güzeldir.(in Turkish), Sharing is beautiful.(in English)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report