Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces don't show up

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ThomasInventor
2318 Views, 8 Replies

Surfaces don't show up

Hi,

When I'm creating a surface it becomes invisible.
Both lofted and extruded surfaces usually appear as a yellow transparent surface. In my current part the loft or extrusion comes up in the list as greyed out. I've tried the different permutations of visible and translucent and supressing and unsupressing with no success.
It also won't show up in the surfaces folder, in fact there is no folder of surfaces.

I can't include the file.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: ThomasInventor

The usual questions -

What version of Inventor?

Service Pack?

Updates?
OS?

Only this particular file?

Persist after reboot?

> In my current part the loft or extrusion comes up in the list as greyed out.

What does this mean?  Can't even post a cropped screen shot of the browser?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
ThomasInventor
in reply to: JDMather

The problem is there after reboot. I've now realised that I can't create surfaces as expected in any of the parts inside the assembly I am working on (editing part in place in assembly).

I can however create surfaces the normal way if I open the part without being in the assembly.

It's 2014 Student edition
Build: 170
Release 2014 RTM Update 2 Edu
Message 4 of 9
JDMather

@ThomasInventor wrote:
....(editing part in place in assembly).

I can however create surfaces the normal way if I open the part without being in the assembly.

It's 2014 Student edition
Build: 170
Release 2014 RTM Update 2 Edu

Still no files attached.  Still no cropped images of browser.

But a tiny bit more information.

I'm going to take a guess that your sketch is at the assembly level rather than the part level. 

I am going to guess that you aren't really editing the part in the assembly.

Post screen shot showing browser (while attempting to edit part in assembly).

Hmmmm, I tried every which way and I can't seem to reproduce the behavior you describe.
More information is needed.

If this is student license - why can't you attach files here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
ThomasInventor

Thanks for bearing with me, here's a screenshot of what it looks like, 2 loft surfaces are greyed out but as you can see they are set to 'visible'.
The white background is in the part, outside of the part the background is grey.

greysurfaces.png

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

If I have Object Visibility set to not show construction surfaces - I they are as you descibed - set to Visible but grayed out.

But I still can't reproduce exactly what you describe - I think I must be missing something.

Can you reproduce this behavior from scratch in a new experimental assembly?

Message 7 of 9
ThomasInventor

Thanks!

I checked object visibility and it was unchecked and greyed out in the part, turns out I had disabled it in the assembly.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

Ahh, and now I finally figured out the steps to exactly reproduce the behavior.

If I turn off Object Visibility>Construction Surfaces before editing the part in the context of the assembly - I get the behavior you describe.  Well now you have it figured out.

I do not see any inconsistency in the behavior - but I can see how it could be confusing to solve (especially with no files!).

Message 9 of 9

Thanks very much, was having the same issue when I was creating a part in the assembly. I couldn't work out why the constructed surface was greyed out in the 'edit' view. Then noticed it was unselected in the assembly view!!

problem fixed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report