Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface area of parts into parts lists

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Jonka45
2079 Views, 5 Replies

Surface area of parts into parts lists

Hi all

I am new to this forum so go easy on me !!

I am trying to get surface area into the parts list / material list for the guys building the BOM for our products.

I can get the mass, volume etc but no surface area. I can retrieve it via text and use "physical properties - model" and by selecting the correct part in the drop down box, select individual parts from the assembly, all be it in mm2 ! But this is messy and time consuming.

As you can retrieve other physical properties surly a surface area is possible??

Is there a way to get it into the BOM then retrieve it from there?

I can't believe that there is not a simple solution as I am sure people need to cost sheet material !

I know you can get surface area extents from sheet metal is this possible in a std part? As this would be better than nothing.

Thanks

Inventor 2022 Proffesional
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rdyson
in reply to: Jonka45

In your dwg/idw, go to manage>styles & standards>styles & standards editor

Expand parts list, click parts list standard of your choice, got to column chooser and add volume

Do this in your template if you always need it

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 6
Jonka45
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks for the reply.

I have done as you suggested and this gives me the volume only. Unless you know of away to tweak this?

I require the square meters of the main face, not  meters cubed. This way it doesn't mater what sheet thickness is used I can just extract the area of board we will need for that job. Basically I want to extract the surface area of a face.

Currently I am using sheet metal for a flat board. I then create a flat pattern of the flat board this way I get a surface area extents. I just wondered if there was a way to get a true surface area like using the measure tool and selecting a face.

The area in physical tab in the parts iproperties gives you an area of all faces but I just want the main one.

Probably being too fussy

Thanks again

Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 4 of 6
rdyson

Sorry, totally mis-read your question.

I don't see a way, you could add a text manually that used the physical property.

At least it would update with the part

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you are talking about the extent area for sheet metal part particularly, please take a look at the following thread. Look for the reply at the bottom and there is the workflow to add extents to partslist.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/IV2009-sheet-metal-extents-in-Parts-List/m-p/2236808...

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
Jonka45
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks again for the input and the link it has a good tip with the cm at the end I didn't know about.

The solution in the link is working the area out similar to the extents available in text in a DWG, in effect measuring a rectangular box around the flat pattern. 

The sheet metal extents is as near as I am going to get as an inbuilt functionality it seems, or measure it using the measure tool and enter it as text as suggested.

The difficulty is as we use nesting software to make the most of a sheet of material and we cut many weird and wonderful shapes. Imagine a crescent moon type shape, Inventor would return a massive extents area where as in reality you can nest lots of other parts inside that extent. I know Inventor isn't nesting software, it would just be quicker for me to give a surface area to the guys creating the BOM and costing, other than it going to the machine shop for them to report back the true surface area. 

Sheet metal extents in some of our applications are just a good guide at best.

Cheers guys

Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report