Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subasy not exposing child parts in IPN browser-Inventor 2013 Bug

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gcross
1777 Views, 8 Replies

Subasy not exposing child parts in IPN browser-Inventor 2013 Bug

I'm seeing this issue often in IPN files over the years & surprised it's still happening in r2013...

Clicking on + symbol next to certain IAM subasy's in the browser does not reveal any child components.

Fortunately, I can perform tweeks on the parts but only by selecting the parts in the editing window. I cannot select the parts in the browser (see screen shot attached).

IPN Browser Issue.jpg

Some other Subasy's are fine & they do show all the child components.

I've got three other small subasy's instances in the same file where only one of them exposes the children & the other two show nothing, even though they are all copies of the same subasy.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Has anyone seen this occur in r2014 ?

Gary

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: gcross

Can't say I have in IV2014, I do see that the hot-fix 1 for IV2014 does address some issues with IPN dealing with Demote.

Sometimes I think the best is to open the IAM prior to creating a IPN and do a full rebuild and save prior to creating the IPN. This module could use some major clean-up or ship IV-Publisher in the suite. Wish we could pick a couple of the items for Suite ourselves, rather than the prepackaged.

I doubt many make use of all the software. I would gladly trade back 3dMax, Mudbox and Navis for IV Publisher.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

Examples like this is one substantiates the reason I created the idea to eliminate the need for IPN's and incorporate them into a standard assembly format.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 9
-niels-

This sounds a lot like the problem i posted about, only you're using the assembly view instead of tweak view.

If it is, then it's still present in 2014.

I even made an official support request for that and it is a known problem.

My support request made them bump it up a bit on the priority list, but no date for a fix yet.

Like Cadmanto, i also made a post on the ideastation for improving the ipn environment.

More votes (on all ipn related idea's) might help get stuff improved.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 9
willem.jagt

Having the same problem in Inventor 2014. Some subassemlbies not exposing child parts in IPN browser.

Autodesk has still some work to do on presentation files.

Also missing the trails in visual style shaded with edges, altough they are visable when switching to visual style wireframe visible edges only, see attachments.

Message 6 of 9

Yup add us to people seeing IPN issues STILL in 2014. C'mon Autodesk please listen to your customers!! Obviously we've had to deal with an outdated IPN environment for too long. Nobody at Autodesk seems to care to fix these issues or improve the IPN environment.

No we don't need Publisher to replace it. We have Publisher. It's a great easy to use software, for it's intended purposes (creating documentation). However I'm creating drawings with exploded views on a seperate sheet in the IDW and I don't see the reason to have to use another piece of software just to generate those views. Even though I can create those in Publisher there is a disconnet in workflow with the IDW or DWG. Publisher has it's place but it's not really meant to replace an IDW/DWG IMHO.

How about do away with having to have a seperate IPN file altogether? Make the IPN commands a integrated part of the IAM environment by suppressing constraints or whatever it takes. Let us treat it as a view rep...you know...since that IS what an exploded view is anyways!!

Today one of my coworkers called me into his office asking why his IPN for whatever doesn't show all of the subassemblies and components anymore in his top-level assembly now that he's updated one of the sub assemblies. I gave him the bad news telling him that he would need to create a new IPN since IV has had issues in the past like this. Needless to say he wasn't happy having to reinvent the wheel all over again. Rinse and repeat this process if you make another change to your assembly down the road.

The now "corrupt" IPN that shows the model updates visually, yet now the model tree doesn't show all of the components or subassemblies....all because we updated the assembly. It was fine on the last revision. The model files and subassmblies are there in the graphics window but where are they in the model tree???? We needed to edit a tweak to a subassembly but now we can't. Have to start over from scratch. Fun!!

IPN CORRUPT.jpg

A brand new IPN of the same assembly file. Notice the new IPN uses the same exact assembly, yet shows all of the model files in the browser tree....

IPN NEW.jpg

I would LOVE to hear from Autodek why this has been this way for years...

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 7 of 9
cmcconnell

We have seen this here is well with 2012 and 2013.

We have completely stopped using IPNs - we got tired of re-creating them along with all of the performnace issue they had with the Materials and Appearances in 2013.

I agree, publisher isn't the answer - besides, it looks like development has stopped there too.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 8 of 9
bkeeverSMQ4T

Still seeing this behavior in Inventor 2019

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bkeeverSMQ4T

Hi! I believe this is a corruption, which was supposed to be fixed in 2013 or 2014. If the files were migrated to 2019, the corruption would be existing. Unfortunately the IPN views may need to be recreated.

If your files were created from scratch in 2015 and later, please share the files. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report