Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly positions and flexible constraints

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tyler.a
1538 Views, 4 Replies

Subassembly positions and flexible constraints

I have a sub assembly consisting of several components.  I enabled flexibility to position the subcomponents in the main assembly how I wanted them.  However when i double click or "open" the sub assembly the positions of the components revert back to their original state.

The assembly is a lubrication system, and the reason i need the final positions updated in the original sub assembly is so that i can run hoses in the sub assembly, keeping the hoses out of the BOM for the main assembly.

Any and all help is appreciated (to include "you're doing it wrong")

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: tyler.a

I think this works...(not sure if tube/pipe routes can be demoted but)

If I were to do it I would place all the parts into the top level sub, add my hoses then select all the parts that should be in the sub, right click and select..component.. "demote". That will move all those parts into their own subassembly..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
SBix26

This might also be a good application for making the subassembly adaptive rather than flexible.  This will only work if this is the only assembly in which this subassembly is used, because an assembly can only be adaptive to one instance.  But the advantage for this application is that the subassembly position is controlled by its constraints in the main assembly.

Message 4 of 5
tyler.a

I appreciate the help guys.  With minimal experience in inventor (~6 months) any and all help/suggestions are accepted.  I'm still in the portion of my learning curve where im figuring out how to optimize my modeling methods.  Both recommendations have been filed away in my mental storage for use on future projects.

Tyler

Message 5 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: SBix26

Little complaint on this issue.... when you take an assembly that was used adaptively in a larger assembly, and do a copy design on it so it can be used differently in a new larger assembly... shouldn't Inventor automatically clear the adaptivity on the copied version?

For the life of me I could not figure out why I was unable to set this new, copied pump assembly as adaptive on my skid.  Then I read this post, and remembered a little obscure trick someone once showed me.  Went into Document Settings (of all places) and unchecked the "Used Adaptively..." box, and everything was fine.  How in blazes is anyone supposed to know about this, if they haven't already seen it done?!  I think that a copied sub-assembly should automatically be cleared, or there should be a right click option to clear adaptivity on parts, rather than having to dig through Document Settings looking for a tiny check box that most people probably don't even know is there.

I love my job, I love my job.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report