Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly constraints constantly need rebuilding

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
SMGordon
2015 Views, 5 Replies

Subassembly constraints constantly need rebuilding

I'm working in a large top level assembly and the following is happening

1. Assembly is happy with no broken constraints

2. Edit a constraint (in this case, to rotate a part based on an angular constraint with another part)
3. Error message pops up telling me dozens of constraints in subassemblies are broken
4. Click Accept, assembly does not visually update

5. Click "Rebuild All" button under manage tab
6. 3 minutes later the model is updated, everything is happy, model looks how it should.

This type of problem has been happening lots to different assemblies with difference constraint scenarios.

Inventor 2013

W7 x64

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi ninjajedisaiyan, 

Do you happen to have some adaptive cross part geometry in the assembly. It could be that you've created a situation where Inventor is chasing it's tail a bit (trying to update one part, that then needs to update another, and on and on).

If you toggle the Adaptive option off for any Adaptive parts do you still see the issue?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6

No, we try to avoid creating adaptive parts at all costs because we have always found as much that can be helpful and tempting to use, it creates more problems that it's worth in the long run.

Also I forgot to mention I do NOT have "defer updates" checked in App. Options.

Message 4 of 6

Hi ninjajedisaiyan,

hmmm, what if you go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Assembly tab, and enable the "Enable constraint redundancy analysis" option and/or the "Enable related constraint failure analysis"

Enable constraint redundancy analysis

Specifies if Autodesk Inventor analyzes all assembly components for adaptivity adjustments. Default setting is not selected.

Not selected

When the check box is cleared, Autodesk Inventor skips a secondary analysis which normally checks for redundant constraints and analyzes all component degrees of freedom. The system only updates degree of freedom analysis when the symbols are displayed.

Selected

When the check box is selected, Autodesk Inventor performs a secondary analysis, and notifies you when redundant constraints exist. Degrees of freedom are updated, even when they are not displayed.

Enable related constraint failure analysis

Specifies if Autodesk Inventor performs an analysis to identify all affected constraints and components if constraints fail. Default setting is selected.

Not selected

When the check box is cleared, Autodesk Inventor does not perform the analysis.

Selected

When the check box is selected, Autodesk Inventor performs an analysis to identify all affected constraints and components if constraints fail.

After analysis, you can isolate the components that use the constraints and select a treatment for individual components,

You don't typically what to leave these enabled, but they might help you determine the present issue.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 6

No those didn't help

Message 6 of 6
SMGordon
in reply to: SMGordon

I may have gotten my assembly working and I messed with a lot of stuff so I can't confirm 100% that this was my problem but I am very suspicious it was the limit constraints I had in a few subassemblies.  I had a few flexible hydraulic cylinder subassemblies with the stroke defined by an insert constraint with limits and once I changed that to just a mate constraint to the axis' (unconstrained otherwise) my problems started clearing up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report