Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structured (?) parts list in Inventor 2014

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
graemev
5930 Views, 8 Replies

Structured (?) parts list in Inventor 2014

When placing a parts list, I'm having a dickens of a time trying to get anything but either the top tier list of subassemblies or a complete parts breakdown.

The file: a top level assembly (not a weldment) with sub assemblies, each subassembly (not a weldment) containing multiple individual weldments, each weldment containing some parts common across multiple different weldments.

What I'm looking to have on the paper is a parts list showing each of the top level assembly's parts (the subassemblies) with second tiers showing each subassembly's weldments - all on the same parts list.  I have no particular need of grouping like components, as I can put up a "bottom level" parts list from the top level assembly showing total part counts of unique items from the bottom level weldments - nice, but not what I need right now.

All assemblies have the structured BoM enabled.  When placing the parts list, if I select "Structured", the levels dropdown box is greyed out.

Can what I'm asking for actually be done?  If so, what have I missed?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cwhetten
in reply to: graemev

If the structured tab in your BOM is enabled, then the drawing parts list will follow whatever the BOM is set to display (i.e. it will be grayed out, not allowing you to change the level on parts list placement).  To change it, edit the BOM in your assembly, switch to the Structured tab, then right-click on the Structured tab and choose View Properties.  Set the level to All Levels.

BOM Structured View Properties.png

Setting it to all levels will allow you to expand the subassembly structure in your drawing parts list. 

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 3 of 9
graemev
in reply to: cwhetten

Yep.  Tried that.

Parts list dialog.JPG

Results in this:

Parts list inserted.JPG

All top level, all the time.  Or just the parts in toto.

Message 4 of 9
cwhetten
in reply to: graemev

It shows only top level components by default when you place a new parts list.  In order to see children, you have to edit the parts list (double-click on it).  You should see a +/- column.  Subassemblies will have a + in this column.  If you click the +, it will expand the subassembly and list its children.

Expand Parts List Node.PNG

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 5 of 9
graemev

... aaaaaaand that would be what I missed.

This is why I ask the experts!  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
BLHDrafting

Cameron, I see in your expanded Parts List that each expanded line is included (not greyed out). In my lists whenever I expand a + that line gets greyed and is not shown in the full Parts List. This is obviously not the best result. What am I doing wrong?

PARTS_LIST.jpg

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 7 of 9
cwhetten
in reply to: BLHDrafting

To graemev--

Glad I could help! Smiley Happy

To Brendan--

Odd.  I've never seen it automatically turn the lines off, and I can't think of a mechanism that would cause that.  As you can see, mine doesn't do that.

Can you just right-click on the grayed-out rows and turn the visibility back on?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 8 of 9
BLHDrafting

Cameron, RMB on the line brings up the usual options. Visible is there but clicking it does nothing. Stumped if I can figure it out. It's been like that since day 1 of using Inventor 2008. I thought it was just an (annoying) function of the software, until I saw your screen capture!

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 9 of 9
BLHDrafting

Figured it out. Was Grouping in the Styles. Turned Grouping off, deleted Parts List, place it again and can now expand levels correctly.

grouping.png

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report